laptop trouble :( can anyone help please :)

t_jt_j Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Hi guys,[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]I replaced a keyboard on a [/FONT]Toshiba Satellite C650[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif] that was not working with certain keys, after it had water spilt on it [/FONT]So replaced the keyboard today [FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]It won't work unless you open the virtual keyboard first and even then certain letters don't work. Any advice would be much [/FONT][FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]appreciated.

thanks in advance.
[/FONT]

Comments

• devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you use the EXACT model number keyboard as a replacement? I ask because almost any keyboard will have a matching connecting cable, but the pin position isn't the same across manufacturers or model laptops.
  • t_jt_j Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi there,

yes it was an exact swap.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The water probably leaked onto the motherboard, more than likely not just the keyboard was affected by the spill.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^ agree with Above if it's exactly the same model dead controller on the board
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How long were you able to use it with only a select number of the keys on the old keyboard using? If it was for a good while after the spill and all of the keys stopped working after you swapped the keyboard, then I would be sure the ribbon cable for the keyboard didn't pop out and be sure you have it seated all the way. Some of those can be tricky to get in properly, you might just not have a connection.
  • estamandestamand Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with msteinhilber. Reconnect the ribbon cable and make sure that it is inserted properly then lock it down. If the connect is damaged and it doesn't lock into place try using a piece of non conductive tape over the ribbon and connector.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unless it has a fluid channeling system built into the case the mobo probably got hit. hard to say, but I agree with what is posted above. I would take it out and try reseating it again.