Options

Has anyone here taken the SCNP exam?

RickWRickW Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have had the SCNP classes, and part of the course package is an exam voucher. I will be using it soon just to get it out of the way.

Any of you taken this exam yet? What is it like?

Comments

• Options
    johnnyadpjohnnyadp Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Taken it, recertified last year also. relly good cert, with a little effort this would be a premier cert. i plan on keeping it current.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Can you share a bit more info, i.e. how did you prepare for the exam and how would you rate it compared other certs in terms of quality (completeness, accuracy) and difficulty?
  • Options
    mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
    Yes, please elaborate, I would love to see more info on the SCNP and SCNA certs from folks in the field.

Thanks,

Mike
    Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
  • Options
    johnnyadpjohnnyadp Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The first time I took a 2 week course
    week 1 covered the domain of Network Security Fundamentals (covered on the first exam), week 2 trainng overed Network defense and Countermeasures (2nd exam for certifiction). Lots of theory, hands on labs etc. including install and config IPtables, IIs, FW-1, snort, ISS. my instructor didn't have a LOT of hands on experience but most of us in the class had bits and pieces.

they've updated the cert so you now must have security+ as a pre-requisite, which i think is great. This allows them to move the cert up a bit without diluting the pool of cadidates. the NSF course and exam is now Hardening the infrastructure, which still covers some practical fundamentals but also covers topics in depth such as disaster recovery etc.

Im looking at attempting SCNA possibly 2006 which covers more HTI/NDC but aso gets into biometrics, cryptography, and several scenario based topics, exercises.

IMO
    The cert has maintained an even keel with relevance, integrity, and 'membership" and is usually pretty current. I'd love to see a continuing credits option with recerts, i think they're missing an opportunity, but theres value to flying under the radar too, it sets them apart and could differentiate between job candidates.

sorry for the long post, feel free to ask more if you like.