Stanly CC Class Summer 2014.

shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
I just registered myself in the waiting list for Stanly CC's online Summer class

Anyone else in the waiting list? Anyone know, how many students per class get accepted?

Also, I just started reading Scott's Mastering 5.5.. Anything else I need be doing to prepare myself for this class?

Thanks in advance !! :)
2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
Current working on: VCAP5-DCA

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Myself and a co-worker are on the waiting list.

No ideas on how many students get accepted per class. But you should be set with Lowe's book I would imagine. From my understanding you get a PDF that cover your labs so the official books are probably optional. I took the ICM 4.x course a while back through a local community college, I found the official course books to be rather dry and poorly written but at that time they were only around $45-50 for the set of 3. If they're still around that same price I would probably just pickup the official course books just to have them. As far as anything else needed, I'd probably stick to just the official course books if you get them, Lowe's book and then print out a copy of the exam blueprint and read through VMware.com for any other topics you didn't cover or need to brush up on before you sit the exam.
  • shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    msteinhilber: Thanks for the reply :)

This would be my first online course and don't know much about it...

How does this work? so they have training videos like CBTnugget, trainsignal and we have to watch those videos and do the lab given by the trainer in order to finish the course?
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah they have their own videos, but they are lackluster compared to the Nuggets/Trainsignal. You do the labs and the instructor grades the labs. IIRC, after you've completed all the labs and the instructor's graded them you can ask the instructor to reset your labs so you can break/fix as you please. As for books, Lowe's is good enough. Make sure you lab up at home too for this test! I wouldnt worry about buying the books Stanly sell. No book out there is better than Lowe's.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shezy77 wrote: »
    msteinhilber: Thanks for the reply :)

This would be my first online course and don't know much about it...

How does this work? so they have training videos like CBTnugget, trainsignal and we have to watch those videos and do the lab given by the trainer in order to finish the course?

No idea how this particular course works, being delivered online. There might be some more details in the other thread about them maybe. When I took the ICM 4.x course at my local school, it was in a classroom setting though still part of the VMware IT Academy offering. There were videos that VMware had produced which we watched, some PowerPoints if I remember correctly, then the official course books of which one (or two, hard to remember) were the lab manuals. So with this course the videos will probably be streamed online and then we'll be accessing the lab remotely either through a platform setup by the school or possibly through these guys who are the official remote lab provider for the IT Academy program: NETLAB+ Support of the VMware IT Academy Program

The course, when I took it, was entirely based on attendance. While the instructor did look to see that we did the labs correctly, there was no official grade. I believe it was 80% attendance required to get a "satisfactory" mark of completion on the course, as required to earn the cert after you sit the exam.
    Essendon and msteinhilber: Thank you for the reply...

I have already heard/read that if you have more than 80% attendance, you get an S for Satisfactory which means you passed the course...

So after finishing this course, I can take VCP550 exam (or before the course) and I will be VCP5 certified.. correct?

Essendon: Yes I am doing the labs as I read through Scott's book. So far it's very good and I am in chapter 3...

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes that's right. After the instructor deems you have successfully completed the course, they'll send a "course complete" message to VMware. And you can take the exam after or before the completion of the course, but both requirements need to be met before your eligible to awarded the cert. Your instructor may give you a exam discount voucher upon completion of the course, best to find out from them. I did get a 70% discount on the exam when I did my course from UCSC about 2 years ago.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Damm 70% is good... How much is the exam cost from VMWare? $175?

• jthunderbirdjthunderbird Banned Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Been trolling this forum for years, but finally signed up so I can get involved with any VMWare threads for upcoming courses. Signed up for the summer course about a month ago. Trying not to bother the representative here but starting to get antsy to find out if I make the summer cut.

Either way, I will wait longer if necessary. Absolutely cannot beat this value anywhere... I have looked extensively... even called about 10 other community colleges... no takers anywhere near this price. My local college (SAC) has the course for about $200 but is every Saturday morning for 16 weeks.... Id rather fork out the $3k VMWare wants haha!

Hopefully see some of yall in class.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    So with this course the videos will probably be streamed online and then we'll be accessing the lab remotely either through a platform setup by the school or possibly through these guys who are the official remote lab provider for the IT Academy program: NETLAB+ Support of the VMware IT Academy Program

I can confirm that we are using NetLab+.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    I signed up last Dec 2013, did not receive any email whatsoever after I hit the submit button. I hope to be in the next cohort.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    I signed up last Dec 2013, did not receive any email whatsoever after I hit the submit button. I hope to be in the next cohort.
    Follow above. If you need to find out when you might be next in line, send a PM to Stanly_CC
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    kj0 wrote: »
    Follow above. If you need to find out when you might be next in line, send a PM to Stanly_CC

I did, a couple weeks back. Based on their response I didn't think they even check the actual list for my name. Basically they just said the people on the current cohort signed up a couple months back before me. If I'm not included in the next one I should be in the Summer batch. Not exactly the answer I had hoped, I guess I was just looking for a confirmation that my submission went through.
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The class is conducted entirely online in an asynchronous manner which means that the course material is available to you 24/7. This includes the online labs. You are required to log in on the first day of class to complete an introductory assignment. After that you can study at your own pace provided you meet the minimum due dates as set by your instructor. Since SCC offers this course under the umbrella of Continuing Education and not Curriculum, the state board sets the attendance requirements. However, because this is an online course completing a minimum of 80% of the course work is how attendance is determined. Having said that, & since most students take the course in order to obtain certification, completion of all the reading & labs is strongly recommended.

The number of registrants on our wait list is quite large and, we enroll students in the VMware courses in the order in which they registered on it. For the January classes we enrolled students who had registration dates on the wait list through mid-September. This gives you some idea of the time frame based on when you registered your information with us. Due to the quality of the instructors and the pricing structure under ConEd, this class is very popular with people who want to get certified. As always if you want to send me a private message, I will be glad to check your position on the wait list for you.
  • panmpanm Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tried to PM but dont think i have the feature enabled for my account -got a permission denied message
    You can always contact the school directly. The SCC Eagle's One Stop is responsible for class registration. That direct number is 704-991-0123. You can also send an email to either jkennedy7709@stanly.edu or slewis8950@stanly.edu.

panm wrote: »
    Tried to PM but dont think i have the feature enabled for my account -got a permission denied message
    If you received a response indicating when you registered on the wait list, then I did confirm that you were on the list. Otherwise, I would have advised that I could not locate your information. As you can imagine, this course is very popular, and we apologize for the delay in getting you into an an actual class. If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try and assist you further in a private message. We are working as hard as possible to accommodate all who are on the list.

SixtyCycle wrote: »
    I did, a couple weeks back. Based on their response I didn't think they even check the actual list for my name. Basically they just said the people on the current cohort signed up a couple months back before me. If I'm not included in the next one I should be in the Summer batch. Not exactly the answer I had hoped, I guess I was just looking for a confirmation that my submission went through.
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    If you received a response indicating when you registered on the wait list, then I did confirm that you were on the list. Otherwise, I would have advised that I could not locate your information. As you can imagine, this course is very popular, and we apologize for the delay in getting you into an an actual class. If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try and assist you further in a private message. We are working as hard as possible to accommodate all who are on the list.

My apologies. I checked my inbox and you did send me an email after our initial email conversation and stated when I enrolled and when I can expect to be included in the class.
    Please feel free to send me a private message here anytime you have specific questions. I will be glad to assist you.
    Been trolling this forum for years, but finally signed up so I can get involved with any VMWare threads for upcoming courses. Signed up for the summer course about a month ago. Trying not to bother the representative here but starting to get antsy to find out if I make the summer cut.

Either way, I will wait longer if necessary. Absolutely cannot beat this value anywhere... I have looked extensively... even called about 10 other community colleges... no takers anywhere near this price. My local college (SAC) has the course for about $200 but is every Saturday morning for 16 weeks.... Id rather fork out the $3k VMWare wants haha!

Hopefully see some of yall in class.
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Please feel free to send me a private message here anytime you have specific questions. I will be glad to assist you.

Yea I actually did a week or 2 ago. You basically let me know I was in line, the date I signed up, and that I may make the summer class.

Like I said, I am not in a big hurry but certainly ready to start... really hoping I make the cut for the May class. Thanks for being accessible, I will certainly continue promoting the incredible value (though a lengthy wait time is a pretty big turnoff for most I have sent your way)... any plans on adding more instructors/classes to meet the rising demand?
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    With online classes such as these, the limiting factor is really their infrastructure. So added additional instructors would not make any sort of difference. They are all ready delivering complete VMware environments to 240 individuals. The only way to deliver more spaces would be to invest heavily in the hardware that supports the environment. Unfortunately, that cost will likely be passed on to the student (speculation, of course.) Just happy to get in and out while the wait and price were the best I could really ask for.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • 2busy2busy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea I actually did a week or 2 ago. You basically let me know I was in line, the date I signed up, and that I may make the summer class.

Like I said, I am not in a big hurry but certainly ready to start... really hoping I make the cut for the May class. Thanks for being accessible, I will certainly continue promoting the incredible value (though a lengthy wait time is a pretty big turnoff for most I have sent your way)... any plans on adding more instructors/classes to meet the rising demand?

Consider yourself lucky, I signed up at the beginning of January too and I was answered that hopefully I will may attend October class. No complain - of course - for that price but it would be great if it could be done sooner, anyway without crossing the line with others.
    Well if you signed up early January and I did mid January, then you are likely ahead of me in line and I will be waiting just as long or longer.

Still not a big deal. I have a full on lab at home and am going through the CBT Nugget and Train Signal videos to learn everything so this class will be a formality. Hopefully I remember I even signed up for this in October! Jeez, that means we will be finishing almost a year after signing up!