Options

exam next week

fhdsubzfhdsubz Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am taking the exam next week.. been using David Groth text book and questions on this site and mcmcse.com. Was looking for some tips...

been reading through the forum... saw people writing about knowing the ports and kn owing about TCP/IP and other protocols. Does questions come regarding subnetting?

any help will be appreciated...
thanks

Comments

• Options
    arisenarisen Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes you need to know the 'well-known ports' range (0-1023) and port numbers of various services, ftp, telnet, dns, smtp etc. As far as subnetting goes, on the Net+ you are only required to know the purpose and use of subnetting; you are not expected to actually answer subnetting problems.

Hope this helps, taking my exam next week too icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    fhdsubz wrote:
    Does questions come regarding subnetting?

any help will be appreciated...
    thanks

The only thing you really need to know about subnetting for Net+ are the three major classes, and their respective ranges. I wouldn't expect any subnetting calculations.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    fhdsubzfhdsubz Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help guys...

one more question though, do we need to know the standards for the cabling like for 10BaseT, 802.3i and so forth? I have seen them in some prep books and some have not.. so I am not sure.

Thanks for the help guys...

Good Luck Arisen for the exam!!!
  • Options
    jinx37jinx37 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should be familiar with the different media type, the speed they can provide, and the max distance for each. Just basic stuff mainly :) Good luck
  • Options
    arisenarisen Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fhdsubz wrote:
    Good Luck Arisen for the exam!!!

Thanks dude, you too :D

hey you should download the Net+ objectives and use them as a checklist for your revision:

http://www.comptia.org/certification/Network/Network2005_Objectives.pdf
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best of luck to us all then! I'm only about 10 days away from taking my exam as well.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    deobandideobandi Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed Network+ last week. If you know your material then you should not worry. Make sure you know PPP, PPTP, L2TP, etc. Yes please know the 10BaseT, 802.ei, etc. I had few questions on 10Base2 and 10Base5. Make sure you know about straight cable and cross-over cable.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had about 5/6 questions yesterday on Unix functions specifically that kinda threw me (Eg. knowing to use Rlogin instead of Telnet etc., where are shard files kept (For av updates)), so don't be afraid to do some research on alternate OS commands for the most popular tools - all the material I used mentioned using IFconfig vs. IPconfig for Linux but that was about it for cross OS stuff. I wouldn't spend too much time on this as it was a relatively minor part but if you have any familiarity with Unix I'd brush up a little just in case.

Mostly the cable and media questions where extremely simple (eg. Which one of these is a fiber std, which might use a ST connector etc.), I was expecting them to be mixed into some troubleshooting questions but nope...

The test questions and exams are invaluable. Not just for pointing out your weak areas but a vital part of studying for these exams is knowing how to structure your information (From the obvious ways in which it will help you skim through and simplify a seemingly complex question to the more useful way you can train your mind to memorise and ultimately build relational links between the facts in your noggin' that match the way you will need it for the exam...if that makes sense, might have gotten lost in the explanation as I need a wee bit more coffee). Basically I found studying for my 2nd exam MUCH simpler than the first as I had trained my mind in the process.

Also if you haven't already get the SE notes from here, and then do a quick check on the updates in the online notes (mainly forget 10base2/5,ATM,Frame Relay and then study the additions of 10GB media in the online tecnhotes).Always use multiple sources, no one book will do you justice.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?