Options

College degree versus certification

RickWRickW Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
As far as a mid-level security position - Information Security Officer, Security Analyst, Security Auditor, etc. - what do you think employer's value more?

- Someone with a bachelor's degree
- Someone with a CISSP and CISM/CISA

I have an Associate's degree, and am working on the CISM and CISSP now. It will be another 1 1/2 years minimum before I complete a Bachelor's degree.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    In most cases, a stand-alone degree and a stand-alone cert will be considered weak. Employers are asking a lot these days, and having a bachelor's degree is your foundation. Basically, it proves to them you can finish a major project, (words taken from a CEO I ran into at the Visual Studio 2005 launch event in San Francisco.) The certifications are, (and are supposed to be,) suppliments, showing that you're current on a specific technology or topic.

True, in most cases, employers will probably go for someone with a CISSP and no degree, rather than a fresh-off-the-line undergraduate. This is usually because you have the experience with the CISSP, whereas a college graduate has only "mere" education. Just keep in mind, a lot of security jobs require a broad base of knowledge, and employers will be looking for someone with a bachelor's and certifications. They want education and they want experience, the market's a tough place. And, in truth, college graduates can demand higher salaries once they have the cert, not to mention are probably a little more likely to advance within their company.

(Then again, each situation is different. I take the "don't take chances, get everything" approach.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    As one can't get a CISSP without 4 years (3 years with a bachelor) of proven security experience, it's a pretty valueable cert. Combine that with CISM, and you should have no problem getting a mid-level position.

A person fresh out of college would probably start lower down the food chain.

As Slowhand have mentioned, it's not a matter of one or the other. Get a degree _and_ certs.
  • Options
    RickWRickW Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Munck wrote:
    As Slowhand have mentioned, it's not a matter of one or the other. Get a degree _and_ certs.

I definitely plan on continuing my education to earn the bachelor's degree. I'm just hoping that I can get a security-focused job before that. Although I do with security at my current job, and I'm the go-to security guy at the firm, there is a lot of non-security stuff I wouldn't mind clearing off my to-do list. ;)
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have an associate in network administration, and have the chance to go back for another two years and snag my Bachelors. Personally, that doesn't sound like such a hot idea. I'd rather study hard and get a good cert rather than spend 2 years in those damn English classes again. :)

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Having an associate's degree isn't a bad thing, when coupled with high-level certs. Normally, they'll just require 3-4 years more experience, over a candidate with a bachelor's. Beware, though, there are lots and lots of people out there with bachelor's degrees, certs, and that kind of experience, and they'll be the ones who will get the jobs.

You'll probably have no big problems finding a job. Chances are, though, that if you ever come up for a job opportunity against someone with the same certs, you'll get beat-out.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    KGhaleon, you could opt for a online degree instead. That way you can work fulltime, along with studying. Check out http://forum.degreeinfo.com for more information in this matter.