Options

buying used Cisco routers

feralferal Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,I'm looking some recommendations on where to buy some used Cisco routers,still in decent shape,,many thanks

Comments

• Options
    farisbfarisb Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try ebay. You can get almost new routers for very cheap.
    Faris
    http://****.com
    Cisco Certification Forums
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    ebay is my second home
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    tippecanoetippecanoe Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    feral wrote:
    Hey,I'm looking some recommendations on where to buy some used Cisco routers,still in decent shape,,many thanks

Hi, what routers would you suggest to use for study for the Cisco tests?
  • Options
    kortie1kortie1 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    There are a whole bunch of options and to ask what routers to buy is always a "depends on your situation" answer. Im also NOT a proponent of www.ciscokits.com because they are wildly expensive but if you want to pay for the extra price then you will insure yourself for getting all of the updated firmware and cables that you need.

Personally, if I had my choice... I would pick up 3 - 2621 routers and 2 - 2950 switches. That, of course, is a bit expensive but it will help you in the longer run if you are planning to make a lab out of it.

If you are only thinking about CCNA for now... then focus on 3-2501s and 2-2950 switches so you can perform all the VLAN and VTP commands on those switches. And if you can afford it... throw in a 2509 with octal cable for your terminal router. That would be a good start.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    Puffy ElvisPuffy Elvis Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ciscokits is probably the best priced commercial alternative to e-bay- at least that I've seen. And, yes you get all the cables and updated firmware, RAM, etc...

There are several reputable sellers on e-bay who have routers with modern firmware, upgraded RAM, cables etc... who can set you up with a package just as nice as Ciscokits would, but for less money. Try to stay away from those e-bay sellers who also have dedicated Cisco product websites- they tend to be outrageously expensive!

In my home rack I have:

2511 (Terminal Router)
    2522 (Frame Relay Router)
    2503 x2 (ISDN Router)
    2501 x4 (Standard Router)

1924 switch (for legacy support)
    2924 switch (for legacy support)
    2950 switch (modern switch, VLANs, etc...)

ISDN Simulator

My goal extends well beyond the CCNA, however every piece of equipment listed provides important CCNA functionality... (the 1924 and 2924 may not be important on today's test)

Ultimately your budget will dictate what you start out with. I got everything you see above except for the 2621 & 2950 for $1000 as a package on eBay about 6 months ago.

If you can float the expense, then investing in 2600 series gear and a pair of 2950 switches is a great way to go because they retain their value better than the 2500 series routers and you can sell them after you get your Certification. If you plan to go further than the CCNA, then a larger and less modern configuration may better serve you because it allows you to add complexity to your network. You can always add more modern gear down the road when the price drops.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Im offloading my 2501 routers, already sold the rest of my lab, I get access to the cisco pods at our local Cisco office now so I didnt feel the need to keep them anymore. PM me if you are interested. Ill sell two of them with transcivers, 2 DB60 cables, 16/16 of ram, and IOS 12.3 for $150.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p