Options

How to Setup MS VPN server hardware?

Birmingham GuyBirmingham Guy Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,
I have just learned a bit installation and configuration of MS Server 2008 VPN role in VMware, but did not understand that how it will be physically. Do we have to have separate physical Hardware machine for VPN server? or can we make our Domain controller as VPN server as well?

Please explain it to me.

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you are new to Windows, so I'll keep my comments at a very high level.

I don't understand the first part of the question. You mention VMware but then you talk about physical boxes. Do you mean VMware workstation or vSphere? What are you trying to achieve?

"can we make our Domain controller as VPN server as well?"

The short answer is YES, but in an ideal world this should NEVER happen, other than in a lab environment. A DC is a critical part of your infrastructure. Best practices stipulate that you don't mix them up with anything else. In the specific example of a VPN server the security implications and the risk are enormous. Too wide of an attack surface. Honestly, if resources are limited I would rather run VPN services on a router before I ran them off a DC.