Passed ICND1 =D

Bacon_00Bacon_00 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Wooo, super excited about this. I took a Cisco class in Highschool (10 years ago) and failed the CCNA (there was no CCENT back then) by about 4%, and never tried again. I started studying for the CCENT in July last year, off and on, and finally decided it was time to take the test. Passed it with a 90.7%, which was way better than I expected.

For those taking the test, I will reiterate what most everybody else has said - subnetting is #1. I was a little shaky on a number of topics, but I spent a lot of time on subnetting and got to the point where I could do most of the problems in my head in a few seconds. I'd say a good 2/3's of the questions on the test were subnetting related, and being able to zoom through those gave me ample time to think through the harder questions.

subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online This site is amazing to hone your subnetting - I did three or so hour+ sessions just doing problem after problem on this site, and that was pretty much all I needed. That and CBTNuggets. The subnetting strategies in Odom's book are a little too complicated for my taste. Jeremy on CBTNuggets had a much more straight-forward approach that worked great for me.

Anyway, gonna take some time to enjoy the pass, relax a little, then move onto the CCNA =D

Also just in case anybody is curious, my studying materials were:

-Odom's ICND1 book
-CBT Nuggets (can't recommend this enough. I was actually a little sad when they were over as I enjoyed watching them so much. Jeremy is an amazing teacher.)
-Some labs through Cisco (provided by WGU), although frankly these were pretty useless. Half of them were about topics not covered by Odom's book and I skipped them, finding them frustrating because I had no idea what I was doing. I have a suspicion something happened where I got assigned the wrong labs.
-Practice questions from Odom's book (I did 3 50-question tests. I thought they were much harder than the actual test, which was good.)
-GNS3 - I just made up a 2-router lab with 4 computers in 4 different subnets and messed around with OSPF, SSH, ACLs, static routing, etc. Lot more fun than following some rigid lab.

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    congrats!

Great review. Always nice to get good feedback.
  • 101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats!
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    well done like boss, when we seeing your post for passing ICND2? :)
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • fov001fov001 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congratulations! and thanks for the advise!!!
  • beaucaldwellbeaucaldwell Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass!
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • OscedumirOscedumir Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice score, contragulations!! icon_thumright.gif
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great score! Congrats!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I hope to pass my CCENT by summer
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Were there any CLI questions such as, here is a LAN, determine the problem and resolve it, requiring you to configure ipv4 addressing and so on?

Congrats! Taking mine this month!
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Congrats!
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!I myself am taking mine fairly soon aswell. I'm using that website you provided on subnetting and im getting just about all of them right off the top of my head. Hopeful thinking that the test will encompass a lot of subnetting in language that isn't confusing lol.
    2015 Goals: CCNP SWITCH [] SEC+ [ ] CCNP ROUTE [ ] CCNP TSHOOT [ ]

• kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Well done good job nice write up to :)

When is ICND 2?
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
  • Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Were there any CLI questions such as, here is a LAN, determine the problem and resolve it, requiring you to configure ipv4 addressing and so on?

Congrats! Taking mine this month!

No config questions on mine personally, however it was all 'show, show, show'. On another note, whilst there were no actual configuration questions, there were a few that gave you config examples and you had to chose the right one to perform whatever behaviour was specified in the question, so knowing the correct syntax, and what order it goes in, is definitely required.