Value of a MS from WGU?

boyishcharmboyishcharm Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I was thinking of doing the WGU B.S. in IT and, basically immediately following it up with a MS in either IT/IS or both.
For those of you who might have some input, do you feel the MS is worth pursuing? My logic is basically that I think having a MS stands out WAY more than having a BS and could help me get in at a higher position/pay grade (I worked in IT for about 4 years but haven't been working for the past year after getting burnt out with low-level tech support stuff. I'm also assuming having a MS would get me past any kind of entry level support stuff into a more desktop supervisor/network supervisor role, where I am assuming the work is much more engaging and thought-provoking than answering the asinine questions that entry/tier1/tier2 would receive.

thanks

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm finishing up my B.S. in Security at WGU in about 4-5 months. I'm planning on going straight through to the M.S. ISA. Although I think it may not be as "elite" as a B&M, I'd really like to get Stanford's Certificate of Advanced Computer Security which would hopefully outweigh any negative connotations the online degree may hold. In my mind, if someone has the experience, certifications, and the degree, the school at which the degree was obtained will matter little.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I'm finishing up my B.S. in Security at WGU in about 4-5 months. I'm planning on going straight through to the M.S. ISA. Although I think it may not be as "elite" as a B&M, I'd really like to get Stanford's Certificate of Advanced Computer Security which would hopefully outweigh any negative connotations the online degree may hold. In my mind, if someone has the experience, certifications, and the degree, the school at which the degree was obtained will matter little.

I like the certificate from Stanford. Inexpensive at $3200 for the 6 classes. I was thinking of doing that before starting a masters program. Hopefully some of those can transfer in.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    I like the certificate from Stanford. Inexpensive at $3200 for the 6 classes. I was thinking of doing that before starting a masters program. Hopefully some of those can transfer in.

I have an appointment with my continuing ed. counselor tomorrow. They manage the transition from B.S. to M.S. I'll ask them if that would be the case. Seeing as they're very short courses, I would doubt it, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
  • atl_libraatl_libra Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I inquired with Stanford about any of those classes transferring into a masters program, I was advised it wouldn't Since it is a "Professional Certificate" versus their "Graduate certificate" (That would)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My MBA from WGU has been extremely helpful. I had the management tenure along with years of business experience (to give you some context). However the following month after graduation I had 3 FTE roles come right at me for senior level analyst positions. I know for a fact it has been a game changer, more than any certification I possess FACT.