Journey to CCNA

ednardednard Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
I’ve just booked my ICND1 exam for 31st March 2014, so I figured I’d create a study log to give my studies more accountability. I was planning on not telling my family, close friends or work colleagues, but by letting everyone know when my exam date is, I kind of force myself into a position where I don’t want to have to tell them I failed, or walk into the office the following day and tell them I didn't pass.

I’ll be studying using the following materials:
  • Cisco 101-100 Official Cert Guide by Wendell Odom
  • Cisco CCNA R&S Deluxe Study Guide – ICND1 101-100 by Todd Lammle
  • ICND1 - CBT Nuggets
  • PacketTracer
(If you have any other good recommendations, I’d really appreciate it?)

I have about a year and a half experience with Cisco because of my Cisco modules at University, and I’m very familiar with a lot of basics, it’s just the real meat that I’m lacking, so I’m confident that two months will be enough time. Depending on how I feel 3 days before the exam, I can always re-arrange, but I’m hoping that’ll be enough. I’ll have my University deadlines and exams from April-June so I kind of need to be passed by then, and then once Uni is out the way, I’ll study for ICND2 during the summer.

I'll be watching CBT Nuggets to break down the topics, then study the Odom book, taking intensive notes, and then review it using Lammle's book. I'll be using PacketTracer to do labs and practice configuration, as well as taking practice exams when I can (does anyone know of any good resources for this?). Judging by the results of the practice exams, I'll go over topics that I feel are my weak point.

Comments

• xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Similar situation as you here, but I passed ICND 1 (973/100) a week ago after studying over the Christmas break only (was into SOHO networking when i was much younger). I'd really like to get ICND 2 done by next month or so but i'm doing my final year project at the same time.

Prior to doing ICND 1 I had no Cisco specific experience at all, the main things you need to learn is the command line obviously and what's cisco proprietary and what's not. For example PagP protocol is a Cisco proprietary link aggregation protocol whilst LACP isn't.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • ednardednard Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xnx wrote: »
    Similar situation as you here, but I passed ICND 1 (973/100) a week ago after studying over the Christmas break only (was into SOHO networking when i was much younger). I'd really like to get ICND 2 done by next month or so but i'm doing my final year project at the same time.

Prior to doing ICND 1 I had no Cisco specific experience at all, the main things you need to learn is the command line obviously and what's cisco proprietary and what's not. For example PagP protocol is a Cisco proprietary link aggregation protocol whilst LACP isn't.
    What uni do you go to? I'm dreading my final year project next year (studying Computer Science and Networking).

Don't mean to blow my own trumptet, but subnetting I'm reasonably quick at, but I know I need to get quicker, and the CLI commands for topics I know are very solid, it's just retaining that information, and then introducing new topics which I haven't yet been exposed to such as Frame Relay, ACLs and NAT that I'm quite looking forward to getting into.
    So since Friday I have so far covered Chapters 1-4 in Odom's 101-100 book, and have taken extensive notes. I feel I've understood everything a lot better, but I think WAN links is something I need to read over again to clarify a couple of things I'm not 100% on.

I'm going to cover Chapter 5: Transport & Applications tonight, and then re-read over the WAN chapters before bed to fully grasp it.
    ednard wrote: »
    What uni do you go to? I'm dreading my final year project next year (studying Computer Science and Networking).

Don't mean to blow my own trumptet, but subnetting I'm reasonably quick at, but I know I need to get quicker, and the CLI commands for topics I know are very solid, it's just retaining that information, and then introducing new topics which I haven't yet been exposed to such as Frame Relay, ACLs and NAT that I'm quite looking forward to getting into.
    L.a.ncaste.r (want to stay anonymous-ish), mines is Computer Science but I regret doing it and wish I did straight up networking since that's honestly what I love... just playing paper based catchup now. Just scored 80% on my Openflow programming CW from last terms Advanced Networking, the Cisco stuff is EASY compared to that; just a lot to remember. Last year we had to implement Ping and Traceroute from scratch in C and also implement RIP for end hosts so they could share routing tables with Cisco routers...

I'm a borderline 2:2 and 2:1 atm thanks to doing so many unwanted modules last year.
    Getting There ...

Yeah I can understand that, I'm at k1nst0n uni, and I wish I did straight up networking as well, major regret. But oh well, I really want a first. I'm on track at the moment, even though I have some really disliked modules, but it'll be worth it in about a year.

Good luck with the ICND2, feel free to update in here if you feel it keeps you motivated.
    Finished Chapter 5 of Odom's Official Cert Guide tonight, which signifies the end of 'Part I' of the book. I think that's where I go back over all 5 chapters, making sure I fully understand the concepts, take a few practice exams and see whether I'm ready to move to the next part of the book.

I'll also be doing some chapter summaries on my blog, but I won't post them in here because I don't want to mis-educate anyone, it's more for the purpose of memory retention than anything. I feel doing them reviews will help me think over the chapters a lot harder, forcing deeper understanding of some kind. I don't know, but it's worth a go.

Chapter reviews and summaries for the next evening or two, along with practice exams.
  • dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    Since you are "quick" at subnetting you are on the right track….Subenetting is essential to passing the CCENT..I am quicker than you!!!!! Anyway, without a firm grasp on subnetting, it is impossible to pass, I see a pass in the future for you, keep studying. Remember, it is better to read and understand..than to read and forget, you might get 4 questions of the stuff you rushed through..and can be the difference between pass and fail. Dont forget the .. #sh ? I do not recommend the ? but if it helps you pass…use it icon_study.gif
    Meh if the '?' helps me pass, I'll take it. Will just mean I will have to brush up on my commands so I know when I am under pressure to remember.

Have started reading over the first chapter again, and will be writing a chapter summary tonight off the top of my head to make it all go in.
    Just realised you support Arsenal, I do too. icon_cheers.gif

What score you getting on the subnetting game? I was getting 15-20 the night before ICND 1, I'm fortunate to find subnetting easy since I did A level Computing and I know my binary inside out by now.
    Getting There ...

xnx wrote: »
    Just realised you support Arsenal, I do too. icon_cheers.gif

What score you getting on the subnetting game? I was getting 15-20 the night before ICND 1, I'm fortunate to find subnetting easy since I did A level Computing and I know my binary inside out by now.
    Good man!

What's this subnetting game you speak of? I'll give it a go whatever is, anything for a bit of practice.
    Getting There ...

Just an update on my progress, up to Chapter 9 now, having read each Chapter at least twice. My Todd Lammle book should be with me in the next two or three days, so I'm looking forward to breaking up the reading a little and spreading it over a couple of books for diversity. I'm quite fortunate that I'm working at a desk and have the books in PDF format, as this is allowing me to do a lot of reading at work during down times.

I've implemented VLANs (Chapter 9) and done some troubleshooting (Chapter 10) before, so these shouldn't take me too long to pick back up, I'm hoping to get them done by Thursday and Friday, as well as going over some labs to get some practice in. Chapters 11-14 is all about subnetting, and I'm looking forward to getting back up to the speed I used to be able to subnet at.

Still confident I'll meet the March 31st exam and won't have to put it back at all.