Options

Cisco Certifications useless?

Mak0811Mak0811 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I need some advice on what to do. I have a 3 year degree in Computer Sciences, 2 years working in the IT field as a Junior IT Consultant at a Computer retailer. Working generally to set up new switches for small to medium size companies.

Having moved to Norway 2 years ago, i really found it hard to get a job.

Having a bit of time on my hand and learning the local language i thought i would update my education by getting certified aswell.

I started off by getting a CCNA and aimed at getting an entry level job in the market. Tried hard for 6 months but got absolutely nothing. Had a couple of interviews but all the technical people who i met suggested CCNA doesnt hold the same value it used to and even for entry level jobs you need more than a CCNA.

So i chose the CCNA voice and got that after spending a lot of time and money on it.

6 months running around with that and still nothing. You must have a ''CCNP'' said a few of the people i spoke to working in ISP's. They said CCNP has become an entry level cert for the networking market.

2 years down the road i have a

CCNA Routing & Switching
CCNA Voice
CCDA
CCNP Routing & Switching
CCDP ( Thinking of taking it )

Yet i cannot even get an entry level job!

All the feedback i have ever got is we found somone with more experience than you. Where can i get experience for an entry level job?

Deeply frustrated and am thinking ive wasted a lot of money and time.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    It's unlikely that the problem is your credentials if you have a CS degree, 2 years of experience working with routers and switches and those certs. Still, since it's so easy to use ****, certs don't hold a lot of value as a signaling tool in my opinion; what you learn while studying for them is what matters. How are you demonstrating to potential employers that you have real skills? Is your resume and cover letter top notch? Are your interview skills solid?
  • Options
    NiqriolNiqriol Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Mak0811

I am dismayed that such wonderful qualifications are not getting you a job. In some countries, you'd be a hot cake with these certs. The beauty with these certs is that they evidence your solid grasp of routing and switching. Maybe there's just a problem in Norway? I know of someone who was only a CCNA and got a job in South Africa.

Cisco certs are not useless. I have my current job as a Network Analyst in a bank because I studied CCNA (got the job through an internal ad before I got certified!). I know with this background I am able to work for an ISP because of the CCNA and the exposure I've had to protocols outside the scope of CCNA.

I really feel for you, mate. It's so disappointing that these wonderful certs aren't getting you a job. Is there a surfeit of people with similar qualifications in Norway perhaps?

One thing I have observed is that security is the in-thing right now. Hence, I've started studying for CCNA security, then proceed to the new CCNP security that'll be released after April 2014. I believe there'll be more jobs in the security field in the years to come. Also trying out some pen-testing training right now. It helps to see the trends in IT and position yourself in advance. Cloud computing is in vogue at the moment and won't go away. Another field that seems to be gaining momentum is Cisco software-defined networking (SDN). Perhaps there's too many people with experience in routing and switching. It therefore behooves us to bone up on the less-explored stratosphere of SDN, cloud computing, and security (plus ethical hacking/pen-testing).

All the best in your endeavors.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pretend you have experience, do you have a friend who works in IT somewhere etc etc... Or be honest and unemployed, the choice is yours!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    I believe i have excellent interview skills, but the problem is i need interviews. If i dont get called to an interview theres not much i can show to them.

I have experience but not working at the highest level as suggested above. All i am looking for is an entry level position to demonstrate what i know.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    My first though is resume and/or interview skills. Could you possibly upload your resume as you have been sending it for review here? There are members who can do wonders with it.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply.

I dont have mean networking skills. I wont be the first person they would call if a major breakdown takes place. Hence the entry level position im looking at.

Could it be my experience comes from working in Asia and not in Europe?
  • Options
    My first though is resume and/or interview skills. Could you possibly upload your resume as you have been sending it for review here? There are members who can do wonders with it.

It be happy to if you could just let me know where. Thanks again for your input.
  • Options
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    It's unlikely that the problem is your credentials if you have a CS degree, 2 years of experience working with routers and switches and those certs. Still, since it's so easy to use ****, certs don't hold a lot of value as a signaling tool in my opinion; what you learn while studying for them is what matters. How are you demonstrating to potential employers that you have real skills? Is your resume and cover letter top notch? Are your interview skills solid?

Dear Sir since you are from Sweden, would you be kind enough to read through my CV (Norwegian Version) and kind enough to let me know whats wrong with it.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I'm not the person to ask for advice on CVs. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't feel confident in any recommendations for changes, etc.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure i have a decent enough CV.

The reason i made this post was, what would it take to get an entry level position. Even after having these certs and a bit of experience configuring switches.
  • Options
    Mak0811 wrote: »

Could it be my experience comes from working in Asia and not in Europe?

No one cares about that. People only care what your experience is not where you obtained it. Many people come to Europe from all around the world so it is nothing new.

Suggestion: post your CV here with blanked out personal information and details so that people can see if there is something wrong with it. You should have no trouble landing an entry level gig with those certs and some experience.

P.S: I haven't been in Oslo but from what I've heard it's a great place to live. Kinda cold up there but some people like that :D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Certifications really don't make much impact one way or another. Overall they help, but I wouldn't expect to get a job because you have a bunch of CC's. I honestly think your CS degree (granted it's from a reputable University) would give you more weight when applying for entry level positions. I am assuming you are applying for more than just networking positions. If not you should be, no reason to pin yourself into a corner going for on type of role. Sounds like the recruiter was feeding you a line of trash when they kept telling you to get higher level cisco certs.
  • Options
    ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    Found a quick article about Norway and their hiring preferences; seems if you are not native, you have a very small chance to get a job: Few firms willing to hire foreigners

The first paragraph is brutally honest:

American, Australian, Indian and other foreign workers have little chance of landing good jobs with Norwegian companies, no matter how educated or qualified they are, according to a new survey. Its results show that Norwegian employers prefer to hire Norwegian employees, even when faced with a labour shortage in the Norwegian market and even when it can be profitable and valuable for their companies to attract experienced workers from abroad.

​Obdurate~
  • Options
    It is always hard to get a job in a foreign country. I think that to a certain degree this applies to all countries - if two people are on the same level and everything, chances are that the native is going to get picked. However, I can't imagine businesses hiring less qualified people and paying them more than signing the foreigner who will do a better job, bring more value to the company and (sometimes)work for less money. The OP has a degree + certs + some experience. This should be enough for him to land something.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    ja aber Sie wissen nicht die Norweger

I worked for a Norwegian company for years and spent time in Oslo and other places. Some of the most incompetent people I have ever seen worked for the company in Norway. It is practically impossible to fire them. Let me just say I saw some serious preferential treatment towards the Norwegians versus everyone else, after all it was a Norwegian company right but I digress.

I would first ask, how did you end up in Norway and especially since you do not speak Norsk? You have put yourself in a bad spot as a foreigner that does not speak the language. I honestly don't know what you should do, post your resume so we can look it over. We really need to see what your CV states

I keep in touch with my former colleagues and have thought about one day moving and working there but it is not easy. My Norsk isn't even conversational, just the basics from working around them so long.

We need to know more information. Where do you come from? What kind of work have you done. being a CCNP is cool, congrats but that doesn't tell us what you have/can do.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    evarneyevarney Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well if you passed the TSHOOT then you must know something.

I think most employers will want a CCNA for entry level. It says, I'm smart enough to learn how to manage your network. A person with a massive number of certs and no resume is a huge gamble. I wouldn't hire a kid out of college with a CCNP over a guy with a decade of experience and no certs.
  • Options
    ja aber Sie wissen nicht die Norweger

I worked for a Norwegian company for years and spent time in Oslo and other places. Some of the most incompetent people I have ever seen worked for the company in Norway. It is practically impossible to fire them. Let me just say I saw some serious preferential treatment towards the Norwegians versus everyone else, after all it was a Norwegian company right but I digress.

I would first ask, how did you end up in Norway and especially since you do not speak Norsk? You have put yourself in a bad spot as a foreigner that does not speak the language. I honestly don't know what you should do, post your resume so we can look it over. We really need to see what your CV states

I keep in touch with my former colleagues and have thought about one day moving and working there but it is not easy. My Norsk isn't even conversational, just the basics from working around them so long.

We need to know more information. Where do you come from? What kind of work have you done. being a CCNP is cool, congrats but that doesn't tell us what you have/can do.

Well how i came to be in Norway is one big story but now im here so im here. I have basic Norwegian language skills which i can use to communicate with other Norsk speakers. I am by no means fluent but can speak it much better than others who have been here for longer periods of time. As i said before i have a degree in Computer Science. I have experience working as a IT consultant for an Computer retailer in Pakistan. We installed LAN's mostly ranging from small offices to university campuses.
    evarney wrote:
    Well if you passed the TSHOOT then you must know something.

I think most employers will want a CCNA for entry level. It says, I'm smart enough to learn how to manage your network. A person with a massive number of certs and no resume is a huge gamble. I wouldn't hire a kid out of college with a CCNP over a guy with a decade of experience and no certs.

In all honesty i do understand how a network works much more after getting my CCNP than what i understood at CCNA level, that said and done i would have no problems working at an entry level job. I have met people working in the Networking industry without any formal education, but they probably started at a better time.
    It is always hard to get a job in a foreign country. I think that to a certain degree this applies to all countries - if two people are on the same level and everything, chances are that the native is going to get picked. However, I can't imagine businesses hiring less qualified people and paying them more than signing the foreigner who will do a better job, bring more value to the company and (sometimes)work for less money. The OP has a degree + certs + some experience. This should be enough for him to land something.

I agree but am i asking too much for a entry level networking job? I mean dont you need a CCENT for that?

If all these certifications are fancy stickers which i can place on my head while walking around, they certainly werent worth it imho. Most of the concepts i have learnt have been on GNS3 and packet tracer using CBT nuggets/INE training videos. I do understand someone with more practical experience would make a better option. I just want a entrance in the networking world, nothing more.
  • Options
    CV

Name: **** ***

Address: **** ****

Contact Number: ********

Email: ************

I am a result oriented IT professional with experience in design, installation and support of information systems. I have technical competence in implementation,troubleshooting and documentation of LAN/WAN network systems. I have a can do attitude and have proven ability to be a valuable member of an organization.

TECHNICAL SKILLS AND CERTIFICATES

IT Certifications

EUCIP Core (European Certification of Informatics Professional) IKT-Huset, Oslo (Currently)

Networking Certifications

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA Route & Switching ) 2012 - 2017

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA Voice ) 2013 - 2017

Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA ) 2014 - 2017

Cisco Certified Network Professional ( CCNP Route & Switching ) 2014 - 2017

Networking Protocols

Routing: EIGRP, RIP, OSPF, IGRP, BGP.

Knowledge of STP, VTP, VLANs, NAT/PAT, Ipv6, ACLsand MPLS.

Other IT Competanse

Windows XP. Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008,SQL Server 2005, Active Directory, Exchange 2007, TCP/IP, McAfeeAnti-Virus, DNS/DHCP, Firewalls, MS Office products.

WORK EXPERIENCE

Reliance Technologies –Islamabad, Pakistan 04.**** - 06.****

Job Description: IT Consultant

Analyzing customer requirements. Installation, Configuration and troubleshooting of network switches and routers.

Resolving all problems related to the local IT infrastructure.

Worked with Desktop support, LAN Configuration and designing and configuration of network communication systems.

Harrods --London, UK 09.2*** - 03.2***

Job Description: Customer Service Consultant

Responsible for customer relations and after sales support to various clients.

Coordinated resources, customers and external suppliers.

Maintained a high standard of customer service. Recipient of many customer service commendations.

EDUCATION

Bachelor of Science(Computing)– ******** , ******* 2006

Advanced Diploma in Computer Sciences - ******* 2004

Diploma in Computer Sciences– ***** , ***** 2003

(High School Diploma) - *****, ******* 2000

LANGUAGE

English –Excellent communication skills written and oral.

Norwegian – Good communication skills written and oral.

OTHER
    COURSES

Arbeid og kommunikasjon (Workplace Communication) - Hero Kompetanse, Oslo 05.2*** – 09.2***

INTERESTS

I am an avid sports fan and loves to play football and cricket. Video gaming is also one of my big interests. I am an outgoing person who loves nature and travelling.

REFERENCES

Can be provided upon request.
  • Options
    Apologies for the bad formatting, have tried to fix it but to no avail.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Mak0811

Sorry to say it, but it's likely because you aren't from Norway. If you can relocate, consider Canada.
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Pretend you have experience, do you have a friend who works in IT somewhere etc etc... Or be honest and unemployed, the choice is yours!

You are FUNNY bowing.gif actually made me laugh
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Networking Protocols

Routing: EIGRP, RIP, OSPF, IGRP, BGP.
    As a hiring manager, I see this a lot. What about them? This doesn't explain anything at all.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    It needs work, I can honestly not tell what you can do from reading this CV.

You make it hard to read as well, please for the love of God remove the CCNA R/S, you aren't impressing anyone by it, you are a CCNP so we know you must have an NA. I wouldn't spell them out, too much crammed into an area

Professional Certifications

Cisco: CCNP Routing & Switching, CCNA Design, CCNA Voice

Networking Protocols

EIGRP, RIP, OSPF, IGRP, BGP, STP, VTP, VLANs, NAT/PAT, IPv6, MPLS

Microsoft Technologies

Active Directory 2003/2008, Server 2003/2008 R2, DNS, DHCP, IAS, NPS, Windows XP/7/8, SQL Server 2005, Exchange 2007

Reliance Technologies –Islamabad, Pakistan 04.**** - 06.****

Job Description: IT Consultant

Analyzing customer requirements. Installation, Configuration and troubleshooting of network switches and routers.

Resolving all problems related to the local IT infrastructure.

Worked with Desktop support, LAN Configuration and designing and configuration of network communication systems.

What does "analyzing customer requirements" mean? "Configuration and troubleshooting network switches"? Cisco? HP? Dell? L2? L3? What did you do with them? Tell me please...

"resolving all problems"..again you are in love with blanket statements, what is "all" problems?

You are a CCNP and you worked with Desktop support? Designed network comm systems? Again, what did you design, tell me.

You resume does nothing but open up questions, if I were to pick your resume up. I am hoping it tells me what you have done and can do. Alas, all I have is questions and I would toss it because I am looking for someone who can not only compose a professional CV but give me a good idea from one page what it is they can do for me.

Get granular with your resume, this is YOU selling yourself to potential employers.

Again, you are a CCNP yet your resume doesn't tell me if you have even touched a Cisco Switch or Router. Have you?

Also, no need for the "Interests" section.

• Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    As a hiring manager, I see this a lot. What about them? This doesn't explain anything at all.

Hopefully through their bullet points you should get an idea of where these were applied. It shows exposure to the various protocols. However, a technical interview will quickly discern the validity of the statements.

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    INTERESTS

I am an avid sports fan and loves to play football and cricket. Video gaming is also one of my big interests. I am an outgoing person who loves nature and travelling.

This needs to come off your resume, and never go back on it. Ever.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Ande that could be the root of all his problems. I wouldn't bring someone in for an interview who had that on their resume.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    This needs to come off your resume, and never go back on it. Ever.

This has been covered before, there is a difference between a CV and a resume. A CV usually contains a short description about yourself whereas a resume is totally job related. They use CV's in Norway according to this link. I wouldn't use it personally but I have seen it used reguarly in UK & Ireland / Europe.

To the OP - have you tried internships to get your foot in the door and to impove your Norwegian? From my googling the unemployment rate is 3.5% so there must be something else which is putting off employers... I would agree your CV is rather generic and maybe an internship might get you a few projects on to your CV. I would find out who the Cisco partners are in Norway and contact them all - once you have improved your CV.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going to be a bit public on this forum (and I probably shouldn't be) but I'm Swedish born. Norway is an affluent country with a very low unemployment rate due mainly to the energy industry. It's built around the socialist model and part of that model includes rather strict labour laws & a high prevalance of unions. A Norwegian company will most likely hire Norwegian first, then maybe a Swede, Finn or a Dane, then look elsewhere in Europe (maybe a German). It becomes much more difficult after that (Asian, Indian, African).

With strict labour laws in Norway, companies are quite particular in who they hire. The reason is that getting rid of an employee is very difficult and very expensive. It's no different in Sweden either. I read about how foreigners find the salaries lousy and finding work to be quite difficult. It's just part of the Scandavian model which is both good and bad. It's tough to break into even though the countries generally welcome newcomers.

OP, are you currently working at all? Have you considered just getting a job of any type to acclimatize yourself to the Norwegian culture? This may help you. Is gas still $2.25 a litre?
  • Options
    [QUOTE=MAC_Addy;]As a hiring manager, I see this a lot. What about them? This doesn't explain anything at all.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your insight. As i mentioned previously i have minimal experience working in the networking industry. I have mostly worked configuring LAN's. Mostly configuring switches like the Cisco 3750,3560. Furthermore i have a lab set up with a couple of 2610 routers + 2950 switches.

As i said the only reason i went far enough to the CCNP level was i was not getting any results with the CCNA. All the jobs i look for are junior positions, sometimes even advertised for people without experience.

I would appreciate if you could give me some tips on how to refine my CV and make it more ''Sellable'' as you state. Thank you for your time. Greatly appreciated.

[QUOTE=ande0255; ]This needs to come off your resume, and never go back on it. Ever.[/QUOTE]

This was not there originally but i was told that Norwegian companies put great weight age on what you do outside working hours. Not just by people who help with getting jobs but recruitment companies aswell. This is not the exact CV i use as i use one in Norwegian, which is a bit more refined.

Thank you for your insight.

[QUOTE=Asif Dasl;]This has been covered before, there is a difference between a CV and a resume. A CV usually contains a short description about yourself whereas a resume is totally job related. Theyuse CV's in Norway according to this link. I wouldn't use it personally but I have seen it used reguarly in UK & Ireland / Europe.

To the OP - have you tried internships to get your foot in the door and to impove your Norwegian? From my googling the unemployment rate is 3.5% so there must be something else which is putting off employers... I would agree your CV is rather generic and maybe an internship might get you a few projects on to your CV. I would find out who the Cisco partners are in Norway and contact them all - once you have improved your CV.[/QUOTE]

Im decent with my Norwegian and havent been told that it is a problem. All i am looking for is a position equal to a CCNA or CCENT.