Transformation from a Score of 696 into "Congratulations you have Passed"

ash.murash.mur Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys

Let me share a good new with you , that i passed my CISSP yesterday after a nail biting score of 696 in my first attempt. It was terribly exhaustive and almost fainting experience for me. Also i should say that it tests an individual mental endurance and patience (which all of them already in this forum know about it).

I have written about my approach in another thread , so i would like to just write here the change of approach that i followed in my second attempt.

1. Started re-reading from the next day of my first attempt (Failed on 19th Nov)
2. Started writing notes for all 10 domains from Shon harris. Although my frnds used to tease me , stop writing manual:):)
3. After completion of each domain, used to take time to go through my notes , and re-collect what i have read, in that chapter.
4. Took CCcure tests, Shon harris test engine , Test questions which is on Tata magraw website for all 10 domains individually
5. Used to listen shon harris mp3 when travelling in bus (used to travel 5 hours every day to and fro work)
6. Finished re-reading and test taking of all 10 domains by Jan 16th 2014.
7. Started taking 250 questions set from CCcure and Shon harris test engine. - Used to score more than 90-93%
8. Noted down the weak areas from both the test engines in a word pad - Started focusing on it for a week
9. Prepared Plan for last 1 week reading , highlighting the points which required memorization much like EAL levels , TCSEC levels etc
10. Read Eric conard book to get the concepts stick to my head tightly:)

On the previous 2 days before the exam
Day 1 - Went through the weak areas word pad and ensured i know every bit of it.
Read Sunflower pdf to ensure i can re-collect what i have read from Shon harris and my notes
Day 2- Memorized the parts which cannot be remembered easily like ethics statements , TCSEC , EAL , etc and relaxed the next half of the day

On the day of Exam
I started at 8.45 am, i was making up my mind that everything will be fine and i would come with flying colors and started answering questions
1. The questions were tougher than my first attempt
2. There were quite a good number of Drag and drop questions - easier and not to worry
3. This time , there were many questions much lengthier than last time - hence took time to double read it.
4. Finished answering 250 questions in 5 hours 10 min.
5. 50 min left for review , i had un-answered 15 questions - Took next 20 min to answer those questions
6. 30 min - utilized to re-review the flagged questions - i had flagged close to 35 questions - managed to re-review only 20 of them
7. Time ran out and i had to finish the exam - Was terribly exhausted and came out , proctor took the print out and smiled at me , i was re leaved and saw the print out - Yeppie i passed.

I found a trick to answer CISSP questions or indeed may be applicable to any other certs which are this much tough, The trick is when you see a question utilize the 1st 10-12 sec to analyze the fact - which is the concept that question maker is trying to investigate ?. If you get it right - 50% of the questions is solved. Eliminate the 2 wrong answers which you can easily if you get the concept correct, now 75% questions solved. rest 25% - re-read the question and see the keywords like "MOST" "LEAST" etc.

Not sure experienced people might know this trick , but i found it myself after i gave this exam.

Last but not least thanks a ton ton to this forum for your contribution. I have no words to appreciate your kind help.

Comments

• warmkittywarmkitty Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulation ash.mur !!!!. Great inspirational notes.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Congrats! Way to hang in there and not give up, I know you were feeling down and out when you reported your last score.
  • joebannyjoebanny Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

Another great story of persistence and hard work! Your story will inspire many to never give up.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Kamat2000Kamat2000 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Great work on bouncing back, Congrats icon_thumright.gif
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• hylaabhylaab Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the PASS! I am on the same boat as you were, "696". I will take the exam perhaps sometime in April. Thanks for the perceptive write-up.
  • ash.murash.mur Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. I wish you all the very best for your exam.
  • ash.murash.mur Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all. From this failure , I learnt a lesson , Do not give up for any reason. Fight back and show that , you can make it,its just a simple attitude which can help you reach that mind set of not giving it up. Have confidence in you ( i mean you should feel that in you). All the best for all who are getting prepared for CISSP.