Options

Failed, 701/850 -second attempt

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm taking the CCNA again tomorrow at 10AM, which is in 8 hours. :P
I've reviewed layer 2 switching, VTP/STP, and gone through various Boson NetSim labs. The only thing I can think of that would fail me is time. I've been going over subnetting all day, among other things. o_o;;;
-

:oldpost: Pretty bad, but the score is better than I expected upon finishing up. It was horrible. >_<

Most of the test seemed to revolve around vlans, VTP and switches which are my weakness. I only have access to a 1900 Switch, so I don't understand the commands they used on the test. I only got one Sim, and it asked me to configure trunking between two switches using an IP address I had to find buried in the configurations or something. I ended up skipping over it in frustration, knowing that it would impact the final grade quite a bit.
I did find it strange that when I logged into the switch, it gave me a Router-like interface...or rather, it felt like a router and not a switch. Though the diagram clearly showed that I was connected to a switch with the rollover cable.

I didn't get a lot of subnetting questions, but the ones I got were pretty easy. Though there were one or two that I froze up on for some reason. I need more practice, I guess. I asked them for paper for the test, but ended up not really having to use much of it.

I'm going back to studying so I can retake it. Do I need to pay again, or is there some free re-take policy? >:)

KG

Note: "Tab" doesn't work in the Sims.
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Sorry to hear about you not passing your CCNA. I too didn't make it the first time. However, now that you know what your weakness are, you can study those areas, and nail the exam (like I did) the second time around. Good luck and don't give up!
  • Options
    opers13opers13 Member Posts: 100
    you can re-take it in 5 days....yes you have to pay another $125.00.

Make sure you work on that sim...If you retake the exam again soon, most likely you will have the same one. I have taken the exam 2 times in the last 3 weeks, I had the same sim you described both times.

I failed last week with an 831.

keep at it!!
  • Options
    Oh, so you only had that one sim as well?

I intend to go over switching all over again. It seemed like a lot of questions on the exam had more than one answer, while all the others were scenario-based questions which were often vague. I had to rush about halfway through when I realized I was running out of time. Ended up finishing with 15 minutes remaining...which I should've spent on the sim. icon_sad.gif

I tried to only spend 1 minute on each question...but it took about that long just to read and comprehend what was being asked. :P

KG
  • Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    The 1900 is no longer part of the CCNA, AFAIK, it is based only on the 2950, which commands much like a router.

In the 2950, you have vlan database form priv, the switchport ? commands in interface level, and vtp which I think can be configured from either config, or from the vlan database.
  • Options
    I finally snagged a copy of the Boson NetSim, where I can some good configuration experience with the 1950 switch. That really messed me up on the exam, but I'm sure it still would not have been enough to pass me. Anyone know how many points the Sims are worth, by any chance?

I'll post my results in the evening, when I get back.

KG
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
  • Options
    argh

CCNA: 99 lives KGhaleon: -2 lives

701...a measily 100 additional points compared to my last one. I probably should have taken the two tests instead of this one, it might've been easier. I got a lot of similar questions related to vlans, stp, vtp, etc as well as a VLAN sim. I'm not sure if I got it right, is there any way to find out?

This time I got screwed over by a lot of EIGRP/OSPF questions. They want you to know every little detail about the technology in order to pass this cert test. It's crazy...I'm planning to move and find work, so I won't have time to take it again for a while. icon_sad.gif

KG
  • Options
    mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
    Don't get discouraged. Stay in the books. I think you should test again sooner rather than later, but not until you know you are ready and at this point you should know when that is. Stay on those protocols and do NOT give up!
    Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.