Options

Network Design

M1S0M1S0 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi I am planning to design a network with packet tracer and I will be very gradefull if you could tell if my plan is correct or not please Is it better to use Layer 3 Switches for the Server Farm data center instead of Layer 2 switches ?

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    It depends.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    is just for me to practice but I would like to know where it depends ?

if there are branch offices getting access to the servers is it that
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    It will depend on your business requirements. Have you considered a mixture of both L2 and L3?
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Nope, you mean add one L2 and one L3 ?
    I am newbie and trying to get started with the design and I ended up with the attached photo
    is the design correct ?
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    The first thing I notice is the design is not modular and is already a mess to Engineer. Take a look at this design guide and reformulate your approach, you should quickly see which model works best for what you are trying to accomplish

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/CVD/Aug2013/CVD-CampusWiredLANDesignGuide-AUG13.pdf
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    M1S0 wrote: »
    Nope, you mean add one L2 and one L3 ?
    I am newbie and trying to get started with the design and I ended up with the attached photo
    is the design correct ?

How much of a newbie are you?

May need to take a few steps back if your real new and start a little bit smaller.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well, I don't know what you've been studying for the last month but I hope you've at least covered the basics of how switches/routers work and gotten familiar with some of the configuration commands before attempting what you have there.
  • Options
    only very basics home network one switch one pc and a router, but I will be very grade full if you could tell me my mistakes please
  • Options
    Well, the looks of it have already been covered. Anyone can go into packet tracer or other sim and throw some hosts, routers and switches around and make it look halfway decent. Just my opinion but it looks to me like your jumping into the middle of the water when you should still be playing around in the shallow end.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll be honest here, what are you even trying to attempt?

You should read up on how switches forward frames, VLANs, trunks and STP before you try and attempt to link that many switches up on a ROAS configuration.

Start with the basics
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    I read about VLANs , Trunks (native) and STP (root and secondary) and configure them in small network, is my first attempt to do a big network and this is what i did and just wondering if is correct or disaster and why
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Will it work? Yes. Is it a good design? No. How you have it now a single access switch can become transit bottle neck for an entire block of access switches.

As others have mentioned it's probably better to learn in depth about all the technologies and how they work before you design a network to use them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thank you Sir will do