Options

Help with Digi CM 32 Access Server

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
I got my lab built and set up and now I am trying to get the Digi 32 cm working but I am unable to access it.
I downloaded the PDF and have read thru all the threads and I am still not able to access the Digi.

I am using a Treadnet Serial to USB adapter that is connected to my serial to RJ-45 adapter. It is plunged into the Digi console port.
The Terminal program I am using is Putty. I am going directly from my laptop to the Digi cm 32. I have used both cross over and Stright thru cables.

Putty opens to a blank screen.

Any suggestions ? Please help.
My goal is to get the Digi up and working so I can connect the rest of my lab to so I can start working from my lab books and not waste time manually connecting to each device.

Thanks in advance.
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just did the factory reset in the manual and then put my computer in the same subnet. Then connected directly to it through ethernet and made the necessary adjustments to fit my needs. Never tried to connect to it through console.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    You need to find what rate they set it at. Like he said set to factory default connect a cable to the lan port with proper settings. Can't remember if it needed a crossover or not.
  • Options
    I reset the device using a paper clip. I have tried to set my pc to the same subnet and it's not working. Using putty or Terra Term. I either get a blank screen or a connection refused message. I am walking away from this for tonight. Any suggestions would be nice

This is a cut copy and paste from where I am reading on the guide
    The following are the default values when the Digi CM unit is reset to the
    factory defaults.
    • Static IP Address: 192.168.161.5
    • Port Access Menu IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    • Port Access Menu TCP Port Number: 7000
    • Serial Port IP Address: 192.168.1.101-
    • Serial Port TCP Port Number: 7001-
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Forget about the console port. Here is what I did....

1) Factory Reset
    2) Crossover (IIRC) CAT 5 from Digi Ethernet Port to Computer NIC Ethernet port
    3) Set Computer IP to 192.168.161.4
    4) Open web browser and go to 192.168.161.5
    5) Should open Web Interface
    6) Login with default uid: root pass: dbps
  • Options
    I was able to figure it out after reading the guide. Note to anyone setting up "any" type of equipment. Do not do it when you are tired or had a long day at work! That was my first mistake. I have gottn the access server hooked up to my rack and now I am trying to get the Digi working correctly. I keep getting a Java Error. It keeps saying my Java Applet is out of date. I have the most recent application of Java on my PC. I am not sure what is wrong ? Any thoughts ?

Fats Domino
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    Might have to lower the security settings in Java. you may have an old version of software/firmware on the Digi itself. I would recommend updating both once you gain access. Just be really sure you have the right firmware and software before preceeding. Mine was tricky in that there were multple subversions of the digiport serv that i have so i had to make sure the serial and model number matched what firmware/software i downloaded. Once you get it up and running i suggest configuring the ports to use telnet, I had nothing but trouble using the serial port software for windows.

Good luck!
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    Johnwest, I was able to lower the Security setting in the Java console manager. Once that was done I was able to log in via HTTPS: ( web page).
    My big issue with the Digi is that the device does not recognize any of my equipment. I currently have my three Switches hooked up to the Digi. I have 3 cross-over cables going from the back of the Switches console ports to the front of the Digi ( Ports 1-3). There are 3 rows of LED status lights on my digi. The bottom row are sold green and the one's above are dormment. My Digi will not recognize any of my cisco equipment in the Web GUI.

I am going to take your suggestion and try to update the firmware. I was unsure if I would be allowed to download any updates for the Digi since I bought it 3rd party? This experience has been very frustrating and very time consuming. I purchased this terminal access server so I could study with my new lab more effectively an not waste time with plugging and unplugging from a console port. There are no You Tube videos that can help you configure and set up this access server unlike some other products out their. I look forward to when I have this all set up so I can use my new lab equipment to it's fullest!

Fats Domino
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    Glad to hear you were able to access the GUI, that’s half the battle! 1 thing I forgot to mention is that a standard roll over cable will not work with a digi. Digi’s Web site has the pin outs for cisco devices.
    These cables are end specific in that one end must plug into only the digi and the other end must plug into only the cisco device. What I did was just cut on end off of a straight through Ethernet cable and re crimp a RJ-45 plug on the other to match the diagram. I think this is the correct pinout listed below, but do test one before you make 32! If this doesnt help you may want to try a straight through cable. Also give Digi's help line a call, they we very informing when i first got started using Digi products, and the best part is , they will help you even if you dont have a support contract!
    Good luck!
    Digi End (Stock end of a 568B Cable)
    1 O/W
    2 O
    4 BL
    5 BL/W
    6 G
    7 Br/W
    8 Br

Cisco End (Cut and Re-crimped end)
    1 Br/W
    2 O/W
    3 BL/W
    4 G
    6 BL
    7 Br
    8 O
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    gc8dc95 wrote: »
    Forget about the console port. Here is what I did....

1) Factory Reset
    2) Crossover (IIRC) CAT 5 from Digi Ethernet Port to Computer NIC Ethernet port
    3) Set Computer IP to 192.168.161.4
    4) Open web browser and go to 192.168.161.5
    5) Should open Web Interface
    6) Login with default uid: root pass: dbps

The above info is correct and should be done once you get a Digi. Also Make sure your cables are not bad. I had 3 I bought from the store that turned out to be bad. I returned them and got new ones and now my digi access server works in both GUI and in putty. If anyone is thinking about getting a Digi make sure you follow the above path!

Fats Domino
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    This experience has been very frustrating and very time consuming. I purchased this terminal access server so I could study with my new lab more effectively an not waste time with plugging and unplugging from a console port.

This is exactly what makes real equipment valuable. You will learn and understand better after having that experience. It sucks sometimes but you would never be exposed to such things in a simulator.

Enjoy the new lab!