Options

Weird RDP issue

JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I would need help on an issue. We have 1 machine where no one is able to connect to it using Remote Desktop. It is activated but I don't see the port listening when doing a netstat. I restarted the PC, checked if the service was running, checked the registry, checked some hidden driver that I didn't even know existed and a couple more things. The computer itself is a Windows 7 machine. If you guys have ever had this problem and found a solution let me know :D

Comments

• Options
    I also checked the Windows firewall and uninstalled the anti-virus which was also acting as a host firewall.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    How do you have the remote desktop settings configured? Let's start with the basics..
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you trying to use Remote Desktop through a local network or outside your local network?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How do you have the remote desktop settings configured? Let's start with the basics..

This. It's probably not network related if you can remote into other machines.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    ^
    Turn on Remote Desktop in Windows 7, 8 or Vista
  • Options
    Remote Desktop is configured with: Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure).
  • Options
    unfbilly11 wrote: »
    This. It's probably not network related if you can remote into other machines.
    It's not network related, it's really this computer only.
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Are you trying to use Remote Desktop through a local network or outside your local network?
    It's in the LAN..
  • Options
    unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you getting an actual error message when you try to connect or are you just getting that message stating it can't connect and listing the standard 3 issues? Are you sure that the account that you're trying to log in with has the rights to log on to the PC? If it doesn't you'll get a message saying something like "this account is not configured for remote logon".

Also, check the time and make sure there isn't a huge difference.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you telnet to that machine on 3389?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    can you ping it by ip and port scan it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you completely disable the firewall can you rdp to it then?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    unfbilly, it is the regular 3 standard messages. The time is synchronized with the NTP server.

CarlSaiyed, No I can't telnet to that port.

demonfurbie, yes I can ping it. I did scan it with Nmap and it the only services open it had were the same that I see when I run netstat.

Qord, been there done that.

phoeneous, I tried that as well.

I'm telling you guys, I tried everything that I could think of and nothing worked. icon_cry.gif The closest I got what was to have the port from Not Listening to Filtered.
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    Below are the steps that need to perform when you run in to RDP problem. 1. if the patches show installed Windows 7 for x86 or x64 based Systems Service Pack 1* (KB2621440) Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 1* OR Windows 7 for x86 or x64 based Systems Service Pack 1* (KB2667402) please uninstall these patches and reboot your box. run sfc /scannow to confirm that theres no file level corruption ensure that rdpcorekmts.dll file exists and is SP1 version that is it 6.1.7601.xxxx 2. Export following registry entry from working RDP machine and Import to machine having RDP issue. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{18b726bb-6fe6-4fb9-9276-ed57ce7c7cb2} reboot the box. Post reboot ensure that 3389 is listening using command netstat -a 3. Import the following registry entries and try to RDP HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{DEB039CC-B704-4F53-B43E-9DD4432FA2E9} HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RDPDD Able to RDP fine. 4. reinstall Windows 7 for x86 or x64 based Systems Service Pack 1* (KB2621440) Windows 7 for x86 or x64 based Systems Service Pack 1* (KB2667402) - reboot and verify that RDP is still working

yea, found that and cleaned it up. Basically you might just want to reimage to your standard image.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From the machine that you're having problems with, can you RDP to another machine?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are the Remote Desktop Services running?
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd just go office space on it...
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    On the actual machine, can you telnet to localost 3389?
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I love issues like this.

What I'd do is download TCPView. See if you can find the Windows service that dictates the RDP listener and see if you can identify within TCP what port it's attempting to listen on, if any. TCPView should give you a pretty granular look into what's happening on the machine itself from a port use perspective. I'm betting that there is something on the machine that is already using the port or there is something keeping the service from running. Also, check the Windows event log for anything that may be interfering with the RDP service.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    googol posted what is found on this link:
    RDP suddenly stop working on Windows 7 SP1/ Port 3389 not Listening

But the last two comments on that post are worth looking at, might save you some time if they work.
  • Options
    googol, I'll give that a try.

MAC_Addy, yes from that machine I can RDP to any machine no problem.

rsutton, it's the first thing I checked :)

CarlSaiyed, No I can't telnet to localhost.

MSP-IT, I didn't think of that, I'll take a look. I have to use the SysInternals tools more often icon_lol.gif

BGraves, I actually tried that as well. I imported the regsitry key from a working machine to the non working machine but it didn't change anything.

Thanks for your help everyone, really appreciated.
  • Options
    If that host won't let you telnet to itself on 3389 you have found the problem - it is something on that host for sure. You are 100% sure the firewall is configured properly? Have you turned off the firewall and tried it with the firewall off to confirm? Any kind of AV software running?
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Remote Desktop is configured with: Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure).

And who or what group has been given access to this machine? I'm remaining with the basics, getting into registry etc is way off course until you step through the basics here.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If the groups check out like mentioned above it could be an issue with the older AV/Firewall application. First try to use RDP to the machine using a local admin account (by default local admins have permission to use RDP). If still unable you could try to do a winsock reset to clear the remains of the older AV/Firewall entries:

How to reset TCP/IP by using the NetShell utility

If that doesn't work reinstall the drivers for the NIC.
  • Options
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    If that host won't let you telnet to itself on 3389 you have found the problem - it is something on that host for sure. You are 100% sure the firewall is configured properly? Have you turned off the firewall and tried it with the firewall off to confirm? Any kind of AV software running?

I'm 100% sure the firewall is turned off and I did uninstall the Kaspersky anti-virus so right now there's no firewall running on the machine.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you checked the event logs?
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    At this stage I would wipe and reload - it's taking more time than it would to set it up again (probably..)

The user who uses the machine actually asked for another one, it only has 2 GB of RAM and we can't add more so I guess my boss will buy him a new one. But it still sucks that I couldn't solve the issue.
  • Options
    Can you bring the box back to your desk to keep working on it ?