CISSP - Passed

sbishop309sbishop309 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I have been following this site for over 6 months now and thought I would mentioned that I passed the exam a few days again. Still can't believe its over...I'm some glad.
I started studying about a year and half ago, by reading the official text book from isc2. Then I saw that there was a CISSP for Dummies...I thought to myself why not...it was actually pretty good reading. Then I came across the "sunflower" pdf document....then I decide to take a bootcamp. That was the hardest bootcamp I've ever done and hoping not to ever do one again! Course went from 8am to 7:30pm-8pm, then you had to review notes and test questions. I was going to bed at 12am-1am. 18hrs days
Now the exam, it took me the full 6hrs. Half way thru the exam I calculated I would only have 20minutes to review when finished so I started going to little bit fast on the last 125 questions. I finished with 30minutes left, I had 3 unanswered and approx. 45 to review. Out of the 3 unanswered, the first one was a lot of reading, answered it then guessed the 2 next ones. I had time to review approx. 20. I felt good about my answers and only guessed 2 out of 250 questions.
Here are a few suggestions:
Be prepared, this is not an easy exam...if you take a bootcamp, be prepared for lots of writing, the instructor knew his stuff and had the ability to present it with scenarios.
The exam is tricky, the trick I used was when I picked an answer, I verified that it supported the other answers
Don’t hit start as soon as you enter the test center. Sit down, relax, adjust your chair, monitor, keyboard and mouse..i waited approx. 5 minutes before starting
Take a break every hour, I took 3-4 minutes per hour…quick bathroom break, grab some water and a little snack
Hope some of my experience is helpful to others. How long does the endorsement usually take? I’m hoping to send all my paper work next week.
Sbishop

Comments

• vasyvasyvasyvasy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done!
    I've just taken the CISSP test yesterday and passed also

It's a beast of an exam, mostly for me because there were so many questions... after approx 150q I had to take a 15min break because I felt like I couldn't focus on the words :)

Best of luck!
  • sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats to both!
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I hope to be able to say the same someday :)
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • billyr2009billyr2009 Member Posts: 120
    Congrats to you both on passing! vasyvasy how long had you been studying for and what were your study materials?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    @billyr2009
    I have been studying for about 2 months, using mainly the AIO and Eric Conrad
    A week before the exam, I forced myself to take 100+ mock exams every day, from cccure.org and AIO TotalTester, just to fight my ADD-like personality :)
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Congrats on your pass...whats next not the list?
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • billyr2009billyr2009 Member Posts: 120
    Thanks for the response vasyvasy. Just one more question. How much Security experience do you have?
  • sbishop309sbishop309 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wondering what cert do you guys go after once you have your cissp? NOT that i'm thinking of studying, this week, month or even year....just wondering :D
  • CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sbishop309 wrote: »
    Just wondering what cert do you guys go after once you have your cissp? NOT that i'm thinking of studying, this week, month or even year....just wondering :D

Good question, no idea! I just recently passed and am deciding between CEH just for fun, CCNA, GCIA, GCIH... anyone else have any tips on what is best for someone wanting a technical basis first and later becoming a manager?
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
    I personally will go for more technical subjects (either certifiable or not)
    For example, OSCP and a little more focus on ISO27k auditing
    Maybe go a little horizontal, towards ITIL/20k

@billr2009, I have approx 5yrs experience with networking, IT systems operations and security auditing
    English not being my mother tongue, it was quite difficult to understand the questions at CISSP :)
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    sbishop309 wrote: »

After earning my CISSP, I decided to write the CEH which was a great technical certification. Recently finished the ITIL V3 Foundation which was a great management certification. Think I will jump back over to the technical side and do a RedHat certification RHCSA. I have tons of Linux experience but no certification to reflect that. After which I may seek one of the CISSP concentrations (ISSAP).
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)