Framing Certifications

aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147
I've poked around and read a few threads on this subject. I'm wondering how many people do this if they have their own office space. I was recently upgraded from a cubicle to a nice office and thought it'd be nice to at least display a few certifications on the wall. I'm not going to hang them all up. I'm not the type of person that beats their own drum and constantly says look at me, look what I did. The office is very clean, neat and tidy so I'm thinking keeping with that style I'd frame the top two or three.

What are your thoughts on framing certifications? Is there a certain level we should reach before framing these things? I'm thinking of finding nice frames for my MCP, Security+ and GISP Certifications.

Comments

• 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its your office! What about the one that means the most to you? Or will look most relavant to your current job role?
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My college diploma is still sitting in the FedEx envelope I received it in. But honestly like 10Line said, your office do what you like! I've known people who have framed and hung their certs/diplomas etc. Definitely something to be proud of so why not display them?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I certainly wouldn't frame anything like a CompTIA certification, but something on the expert level like the CCIE I would.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147
    Thanks for the replies given me something to think about. I just may go the route of framing the single most relevant (to my current job) certification I have vs leaving it in a folder on a shelf in a closet.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't even know where my certs are at the moment lol
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like to frame everything I've accomplished. If I took the time and money to study and pass an exam - ANY cert exam, you're damn right I'm going to frame my accomplishment.

CompTIA or not, impressing somebody else or not - I'm framing it for me because I want to see the results of my work next to my desk.

You know, most people here post their certs underneath their avatars, don't they? Isn't that kind of like the same thing?

Robert
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you can go over the top framing things. Personal I don't. I have framed pictures of my family on my desk as that's what I want to look at. having said that I think if you have high level certs and you are a consultant that customers are visiting then having certifications framed in your office is actually quite a professional thing to do.

I think if you are going to frame Certs and other people visit you office then there are a few basic rules. Only have certs on display that are less than 3 years old. any thing older than that is most likely out of date and makes it look like you are just trying to fill up the wall space. If you have a CCIE cert hanging above your desk I really don't need to see that you also passed your network+ 8 years ago..

Keep them relevant to people who might come in the office to see them and keep them updated. Having Certifications on the wall can look nice, bu it can also quickly look untidy and tacky.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You know, most people here post their certs underneath their avatars, don't they? Isn't that kind of like the same thing?

Robert

Well, as they say, there is a time and a place for eveything. Under your avatar on a forum dedicated to certifications is a little different than the wall of your office.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Question is why to put them on your wall? To show of to other people? or to remind yourself how far you still have to go?

I would have nothing against a junior engineer putting his CCNA on his desk, because I remember the sense a achievement for passing it. but iof I walked past 2 years later and it was still there as the only certification he had, honestly I would feel like he was stuck in a rut and not moving any where or pushing him self.

Like I say on the other hand if ever few months the old one was taken out of the frame and went in his draw to be replaced by a new cert then it would show they were working hard to move on in there career and is a positive thing.

All my qualifications are in a box file in my bottom desk draw. They are in order and it is nice to see the file filling up slowly over the years. I don't feel a need to have them on the wall, like I say I have nicer things I would rather look at. People at work are fully aware of my skill sets, and I don't deal with customers I need to impress.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I desk share (shift) so can't really put them up anywhere.

I suppose I should put them on the wall in the office really.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I've always wondered what size the certifications are, not 8x10 that's for sure.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I think if you are going to frame Certs and other people visit you office then there are a few basic rules. Only have certs on display that are less than 3 years old. any thing older than that is most likely out of date and makes it look like you are just trying to fill up the wall space. If you have a CCIE cert hanging above your desk I really don't need to see that you also passed your network+ 8 years ago..

I tend to go with the highest cert in any given track that I have. I have my CCNA:Security and MCITP on the wall, but I also have my NT4 MCSE. Nobody cares about an NT4 MCSE anymore, but that was my first big cert and I certainly remember the amount of work I put into it and I am prouder of that than any other cert I have earned since then.

I suppose it gives me a little old-school cred as well...
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□

Robert

I only got the most impotent one under my avatar and it really is a shame that I am still waiting for the framed version to put on my desk icon_sad.gif
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    I tend to go with the highest cert in any given track that I have. I have my CCNA:Security and MCITP on the wall, but I also have my NT4 MCSE. Nobody cares about an NT4 MCSE anymore, but that was my first big cert and I certainly remember the amount of work I put into it and I am prouder of that than any other cert I have earned since then.

I suppose it gives me a little old-school cred as well...

If I were you I would exclusively display the NT4 MCSE. OG.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I had a nice office at work, I would make full copies of my two master degrees in frames, but the certifications I would print out smaller, maybe 4 certs to a page and put in clear frames.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have my highest certs from each vendor as it applies to my job. My Bachelors degree, VCAP5-DCA, CISSP Plaque, and my Linux Cert (Cert of completion). I picked up a five pack of frames from Michaels. If my employer sent me to training or pays for a cert I would hang those certificates up as well. Bare cubicle walls are boring.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I keep forgetting to hang my GIAC one that came already on a wooden board and looks really nice. I should get one for my WGU Masters degree that is still in the envelope it came in.....
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know this is an old post. It was my first time visited my buddy office and "OMG"..., he framed all his certificates in a path to match with his accomplishment at work, which look so damn cool!
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • danielskirkdanielskirk Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like the idea with frames. Just go for it, you can always change it if you don't like it anymore
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I frame everything and even keep the old certification credit cards they use to give.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I put the new certificate in front of the old certificates in the same frame. Some of them are getting quite bulgey.