Options

How many late starters do we have on here?

Comments

• Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alexsmith wrote: »
    I'm glad to see others who also made the move and even became successful in IT later in life. When I first started at 35, I was worried about not being able to keep up. I don't regret my decision one bit though.

I think this age is actually an advantage with the correct skill set. Social skills and understanding nuances of corporate culture is essential to survive in today's environment.
  • Options
    GrudoGrudo Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm 35 and I've worked in retail sales for the last 13 years. I just got my BS in IT but I can't get a single employer to even glance at my resume before inserting it into the shredder. Believe me, making the wrong choices early in life has SEVERE consequences. No, I'm not a criminal, but having only retail sales experience on your resume is equivalent to being a felon apparently in the real professional job world.
  • Options
    TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I spent my 20s in the military, and working technical jobs, but did not really get serious about IT till my lat 20s and early 30s. Last year I got my AAS Degree, in Computer and Internetworkin Technologies, and got my CCNA R&S this year. Now, at 35, I am starting my first "real" IT job, as a Jr Voice Network Engineer. Looking forward to grow, and progress a lot in this positon, as most people I work with have CCNP Voice and R&S certs and masters degrees in IT.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Grudo wrote: »
    I'm 35 and I've worked in retail sales for the last 13 years. I just got my BS in IT but I can't get a single employer to even glance at my resume before inserting it into the shredder. Believe me, making the wrong choices early in life has SEVERE consequences. No, I'm not a criminal, but having only retail sales experience on your resume is equivalent to being a felon apparently in the real professional job world.

Don't give up, just keep grinding out certifications and applying for positions. When I switched over to IT from operations management, I convinced a well-known retail giant based in my city to give me a volunteer position that I excelled at and the rest is history.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMO this is the single most important topic on these forums
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    illuminusilluminus Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LinuxNerd wrote: »
    I think this age is actually an advantage with the correct skill set. Social skills and understanding nuances of corporate culture is essential to survive in today's environment.

I viewed youth as a hurdle at my last employer. It may be wrong, but older professionals (in this case: doctors, directors, admins) are weary of the energetic/unprofessional IT tech that is working on their computers/phones. It does take a few years past 18 for most people to burn off this zest for life that can come off as unprofessional or immature.

I started applying to jobs about 13 months ago at the age of 27. Landed an unpaid IT gig at 27, a paid desktop gig at 28 (4 months after the unpaid gig) and now at almost 29 I am a jr sys admin for a MSP. There is no way 20 year old me would have been put together enough to not only manage this type of work, but enjoy this career.
  • Options
    ramza099ramza099 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was medically discharged from military during basic with no VA benefits and had no education except a GED, using fafsa to go to school im 26 years old and have a+ and network + but only taking 2 classes a semester, awesome thread, yes i thought i was late starter but apparently not.

Im taking security + end of the year, you guys are great, thank you for sharing
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Started my professional IT career at age 41. Now I'm working on the degree and additional certs. Age, if accompanied by wisdom, is an advantage in IT. I work in three areas of IT: networking (large telco), computer repair (Geek Squad), and technical tutoring. My age, believe it or not, has been an advantage to me landing each of those jobs. Of course, I never thought I'd have three jobs at my age but what the heck, keeps me busy and feeling young. Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I switched from Science to IT about 10 years ago in my late 20's. I think IT is a career you can switch in to later on in your career and still do well in. I would say it much easier to come from a Science background an switch to IT than it would be to come from IT and move in to science, becasue IT moves so quickly. Once you are in IT for 5 years or so, all the technologies that where around when you started are starting to get old, so you getting to a level playing filed with people who have been doing it for the last 20+ years.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I viewed youth as a hurdle at my last employer. It may be wrong, but older professionals (in this case: doctors, directors, admins) are weary of the energetic/unprofessional IT tech that is working on their computers/phones. It does take a few years past 18 for most people to burn off this zest for life that can come off as unprofessional or immature.

I started applying to jobs about 13 months ago at the age of 27. Landed an unpaid IT gig at 27, a paid desktop gig at 28 (4 months after the unpaid gig) and now at almost 29 I am a jr sys admin for a MSP. There is no way 20 year old me would have been put together enough to not only manage this type of work, but enjoy this career.

Exactly, keep it up!
  • Options
    GGrillGGrill Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great thread! I think I started way late and wish I was smarter in my 20's and 30's to make the move to IT. I've always had the interest in IT, but I never had a particular part of IT that I could zone in on. I liked a little bit of networking, systems and programming so each year I would promise I would pick one and go for it..but as time went on I got married...had kids...mortage and never got around to it. I worked in the restaurant industry until I finally made the switch at 43 years old into IT as a desktop support technician.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Network Admin I work with started at 32 (was a production line manager before). He took a massive pay-cut, starting his career in Helpdesk for 2 years, and built on that. He got certed up, self-studied for the CCNA and passed, and has been a network admin for the last 7 odd years.

I came from retail, and its very hard to break in even with good certs behind you. If your in retail full-time, you have to get some kind of volunteer work, and show that the retail is a means to an end, and not a career switch. You got to give up at least a year of your life to just set yourself up to become employable to entry level IT work.

Its a massive slog uphill, but once your in, your in. Once your doing basic repairs or 1st line support, its all down to you.
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Just found this thread. I have to say it is inspiring to see some of you 40+ just starting out.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I posted earlier in this thread, figured I'd give an update. I'm about to turn 30 in a few days, and still in my first IT gig, 9 months now. My story is, is that I always had an interest in computers/technology, but didn't get serious about it till about four years ago when I started taking classes for it, then got some certs, then got my first IT job. Wish I could have started soon, but it just didn't work out that way. Either way I'm happy with it though.
  • Options
    CMalon02CMalon02 Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm 28 and i'm going to IT dude to my previous job being shipped overseas.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started in IT @ 27 as well...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    edgar2387edgar2387 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    24 here mate, now 27, 7 total certifications, all earned the honest way, I started late not because I didnt like technology, but I was a knucklehead growing up, tried ITT Tech but dropped out because I preferred going to live single life to the FULLEST, but once I realized I was an idiot, I pursed what I should have years, now I am a Systems Administrator, and planning on being VCP, CCNA, and CCNP on my to do list within this yr or beginning of next
  • Options
    darrincreamer@yahoo.comdarrincreamer@yahoo.com Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am 37 now and about to finish my bachelor's degree. I got my first IT job at 34. I was 6 months from finishing my associates degree at that point.
  • Options
    camerono808camerono808 Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been working in pharmacies both in the military/civilian workforce for the last 10+ years... I'm turning 30 at the end of this year. Just finished my BSBA in CIS last May, and finishing up my MSIS next May. I only have a Sec+ cert to my name, working on Net+. Currently doing an IT Project Management internship.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    If there's one thing I've learned about IT, its that age doesn't matter and honestly, I enjoy having older people around the office. I've not only learned the ways of technology but also life lessons from those who have been there/done that.

So I say to you...gracias.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    CeltNinjaCeltNinja Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I know I'm sort of digging this thread up, the last reply was a few months ago - but I gotta say - this thread has given me some new fire. I'm 31 now and I've been going back and forth for years. I've got a few years of college from one college and then a few years at another college - and nothing to show for it but tons of debt. I don't have any certs yet, and I've been working hard towards my MCP and I've got a bit of a sloppy portfolio (I'm more of a developer - I want my MCSD eventually). One day I'll be pretty gung-ho and then the next I'll be sad about things, because I start to think "maybe I'm too old".

HOWEVER! After reading all of these awesome posts, I know that I'm just now getting into my prime and there's nothing wrong with me for getting started RIGHT now. Thank you guys for being so awesome
  • Options
    studyforcertsstudyforcerts Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am 28 and just getting started in this field. This thread may be slightly dated but it encouraged me so much that I felt I owe it an acknowledgement. It makes me very glad I found this. It seems a lot of us think we are the only ones starting late but according to the responses, that couldn't be further from truth.

Thanks OP and everyone else for sharing!
  • Options
    CeltNinjaCeltNinja Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @studyforcerts, I saw another thread that I believe was yours - that whole thread was pretty inspirational also, keep going strong!
  • Options
    speednetworkspeednetwork Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Help desk at 24 with a major cell phone provider. Im ecstatic
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree shodown, you can get very far in this filed in a (relatively) short amount of time with some drive and purpose. Starting young doesn't have much to do with it.

Yes and no (IMO)

I think if you are in a corporate environment it helps out if you start young and show you have the maturity and aptitude to deliver. I've seen these folks move up quickly.

However in MSP, VAR's etc I agree 100%. You can get caught up very quickly, it's more about the delivery and not the perception. In a fortune 500 company a good looking young person who dresses great and who has a superior behavior aptitude will go insanely far. Note I didn't mention good at IT.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I got out of high school wanting to become a Science teacher. After realizing I didn't like the idea of teaching unruly students, I decided to pursue IT (I did web design and computer hardware stuff as a hobby in high school). Unfortunately, I spent several years in a nothing job (not related to IT) being content just to pay the bills. It wasn't until I was 25 and unemployed when I started studying for the A+ and finally landing a job that year. I didn't really learn my lesson on complacency though, as it's been nearly 4 years since then and I'm still in the same job and have only gone as far as the Security+ and being given the lead position on my team.

I'm starting WGU's BSITS in 2 weeks. I plan on things changing for the better from here on out.
  • Options
    Strong1Strong1 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am 42 and just started my first IT job after 20 + years of blue collar manufacturing work. I decided to go back to school and finish my degree at 38 and just graduated from WGU at the end of February. I was able to transfer into a Network Technician position at my current employer about a month before I graduated.

Don't let age be a deterrent. I always wanted to get into this field, but many obstacles kept me from it; until I decided it was now or never and finally started on the path to get me where I want to be. Good luck!

FYI, I work in a small IT department(6 guys) at a very large manufacturing facility. Our average age is around 40 and a couple of guys beside myself entered the IT field at a later age(mid-late 30's).
  • Options
    StarxOnStarxOn Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After reading this thread, I have decided to give the IT field a break, since it's much more easier to switch to later on; and focus on a new field of work.

I am the type of person who wants to know everything about everything I want to be good in more than one field

P.s Coming from a 21 y/o with over 8 years of experience in the IT field.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    StarxOn wrote: »
    After reading this thread, I have decided to give the IT field a break, since it's much more easier to switch to later on; and focus on a new field of work.

I am the type of person who wants to know everything about everything I want to be good in more than one field

P.s Coming from a 21 y/o with over 8 years of experience in the IT field.

You had an IT job at 13? Just curious what your definition of IT field is.

You gotta do what makes you happy. If being in the IT field and a jack of all trades makes you happy, go for it. There are plenty of environments that can use that. If the IT field in general doesn't make you happy then go for what does.

There's going to be a room to grow and stuff to learn. You'll never know everything about everything, technology just grows way too much that there isn't enough time in the day even if your brain could absorb it all.