Options

Advice; want to take job but being advised against, Opinion?

codedwarcodedwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been offered a position as a Field Network Installation Technician for a defense subcontractor. It is only a 1 year contract but I'm told it should be renewed(says the guy hiring me). I think it would be a really fun job as I would be traveling almost all the time and get to see a lot of new places, some overseas. The pay is not bad, roughly what I make now and possibly a bit more if I make money on the per diem. I am also very comfortable with the work I would be doing which is nice. It would be deploying equipment and light configuration to various locations.

My former boss and a mentor of mine is strongly advising me not to take it. He says the job is a step down and after the contract ends and I have to find another position it will look bad when applying for Network Engineer positions because I have been an Installation Technician. He also says he can help find me a more stable position as a federal employee or for a larger company. Honestly, he is very well connected and has a large network of contacts and I think he probably could at least help put me in touch with people. I am not in a huge hurry as I am currently employed but do need to give an answer on this job offer very soon.

I can't decide whether I should decline it and look for a more stable job or take it. Honestly, it would probably be a step down for me as I have been in a network engineering type position for the past few years but I am very interested in the travel and I also wouldn't have to relocate. Do you guys think taking this position would hurt my career in the long run?

Comments

• Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I would not take it. I think your mentor is right. I believe that mainly why you are interested in this position is because you want to travel lol. I say travel on your own time & let your mentor assist you.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Without knowing your complete life story I would say skip the job. As you are employed and being offered the help of someone that is well connected I would take full advantage of that opportunity instead.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    bherbiebherbie Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think we should always look for challenging jobs. You are comfortable with doing this new job which means you will learn nothing. Tell your mentor to help find a job that will help you grow with potential travel. This would be the best route to take in any career path. Just my 2 cents.
    2014 Finished Associate in Science in Database Application Development
    2015 Goal
    A+, Network+, and Security+
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does not sound like the right fit for you unless you really value the traveling.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree with your mentor.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree do not take it.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Doesn't sound like a good idea if you are trying to advance your career. If it is something you think you will be happy doing that counts for something though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.