Options

Starting Security+

txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have decided to take a small break from CCNP studies and go for Security+. Has anyone gone back for Security+ after receiving a CCNA. Any advice? Looks like most people have been using Darril Gibsons book.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Sybex is one of the best texts on the he market. However, with experience, you may be fine with the objectives and a cram book. Yes, some do it, but why go backward? Unless you need the specific endorsement, I would consider staying on the track you were on, or picking up a a degree to round out your base knowledge.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's more for keeping my options open for a DoD contract.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Yes, that is one reason folks here have taken it. So, it can make sense. It is likely you have covered a good portion of the topics under Sec+ already, so I would first download a copy of the objectives (they are free with a sign -up) and assess how easy or difficult those seem to you. On CompTIA's site! you can see sample questions to get a feel what to expect. If you have large gaps in your knowledge, then I would set aside a bit more time to prepare. If you think the material is old hat, then perhaps a crambook and some web review will suffice.

CompTIA exams are straight-forward. No tricks, though some dislike the wording. Be ready for some scenario type questions, but nothing will be too strenuous.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?