Options

Please Critique my Resume

FidelityFidelity Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Techexams!

I'm trying to move into a Systems Administration role, but have been unsuccessful so far. Positions seem to be pretty sparse for this or require crazy amounts of experience (5-10 years) in my state. I have yet to receive any calls or emails for the positions I have applied. I'd appreciate it if you guys could review my resume and see if you notice any problems with it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Does anyone else find that font annoying to look at or is it just me?

Technical Skills, I don't like all the bullet points tossed everywhere. Have you tried looking at what a list format would look like with commas instead?

Get rid of the "tasked as Systems Administrator" Make that into a bullet point if you really feel it is necessary.

You have gaps in your work history, is there a reason the others are not listed? Might be another reason you are not getting call backs.
  • Options
    Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think looks ok, I would switch tech skills and education. I would also center the words technical skills, education, and employment history.
  • Options
    What annoys you about the font? It is Times New Roman, I think.

During the gaps I have not been working and only attending school full time. Is there a way I should address this?
  • Options
    ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have gaps in your work history, is there a reason the others are not listed? Might be another reason you are not getting call backs.

I don't mean to hi-jack a thread, but if you have work gaps like because you were going to school, or/and didn't have any luck finding relevant IT experience, do you simply leave it as is? Or do you list job title(s) for IT-irrelevant jobs and duration and give no description of the job whatsoever?
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    That is not Times New Roman, at least for me. I'm seeing "Century Gothic" as your font. I find the font annoying to my eyes. I if you like it, run with it.

I'm not sure how you address the work gaps, I don't have that in my work history so I never thought to much about it.
  • Options
    Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry about the employment gaps, I had gaps on my resume and I had no trouble getting call backs. You might get asked in an interview, and you could explain then.
  • Options
    You were right, Death Dream, it was set to Century Gothic. I've changed it to Times New Roman. I think that it does indeed look a bit better.

I'm going to play around with the skills section and see what else I can come up with.