Options

Cisco CCNA Security Approved as Department of Defense 8570.01-M Certification

sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting. CompTIA is probably not happy right now.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Good stuff!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just makes my resume look that much more attractive!
  • Options
    sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I see one issue - it is in the same categories (IAT I and IAT II) as Net+ and Sec+, both of which are substantially easier to earn, both in level of knowledge, and cost. (multiple exams for CCNA:S, if I recall.) I think it is great that they are receptive to adding new certs in the mix, but it won't bother CompTIA at all. One of the flaws of 8570 is the importance it places on certification period, not relevancy to the job at hand to the certification. So a desktop support or even hardware support position can now be filled by a CCNA:S, which really doesn't add value to the position. (It doesn't hurt, but doesn't help, in this instance.) Or, if networking jobs are classed as IAT I or II, it could be very beneficial. I guess I'm just not a fan of 8570, it means well, but oftentimes just makes the problem worse by focusing on certs, not relevancy or actual experience.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    I see one issue - it is in the same categories (IAT I and IAT II) as Net+ and Sec+, both of which are substantially easier to earn, both in level of knowledge, and cost. (multiple exams for CCNA:S, if I recall.)

The CCNA: Security is 1 exam unless I missed something. The CCNP: Security is 4 exams. Not sure about the current pricing, but CompTIA has always been on the expensive side, which is why I never actually took Net+. I could have passed it easily, but didn't see any reason to spend nearly $300 on a cert that wouldn't add much to my resume.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    theodoxa,

I think what he means is that in order to get the CCNA: Security you must first acquire the CCENT (unless I am mistaken)
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually did a phone interview back in October with the Research company that the DoD contracted out to see if CCNA:S should be added to 8570. They placed it in the exact category I said I would rate it at. Seems legit. Too bad I couldn't have waited and gotten a voucher for it though.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    zxbane wrote: »
    theodoxa,

I think what he means is that in order to get the CCNA: Security you must first acquire the CCENT (unless I am mistaken)
    Correctamundo!
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    So, and I may be wrong, but don't nearly all the other certs have CPE options? I know that is required for ANSI accreditation.

Not that it's that difficult to renew CCNA:S every three years, it just seems odd that it's the only one with a hard expiration date, non renewable except for passing the exam again.
  • Options
    So, and I may be wrong, but don't nearly all the other certs have CPE options? I know that is required for ANSI accreditation.

Not that it's that difficult to renew CCNA:S every three years, it just seems odd that it's the only one with a hard expiration date, non renewable except for passing the exam again.

You can renew Cisco certifications by passing an equal or higher exam. For CCNA: Security, I believe that passing any CCNA Speciality (Wireless, Voice, etc...) or any single CCNP exam will renew all your CCNA level exams. When I looked into CompTIA's CE program, it indicated hey CHARGE you an ongoing fee for the PRIVILEGE of being able to submit credits instead of retaking the exams. Then again, with CompTIA exam prices that might still work out cheaper.
  • Options
    zxbane wrote: »
    theodoxa,

I didn't think about the CCENT/CCNA. Though, I would think most people pursuing the CCNA: S probably already have their CCENT if not a CCNA: R&S.
  • Options

That crossed my mind as well... I just assumed that they consider having to take an equal-or-higher test the same as CPEs. In my mind, it is certainly a better choice to require a new cert or renewal, than by watching a couple of webcasts for CPE credits. Or reading a magazine.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    I see one issue - it is in the same categories (IAT I and IAT II) as Net+ and Sec+, both of which are substantially easier to earn, both in level of knowledge, and cost. (multiple exams for CCNA:S, if I recall.) I think it is great that they are receptive to adding new certs in the mix, but it won't bother CompTIA at all. One of the flaws of 8570 is the importance it places on certification period, not relevancy to the job at hand to the certification. So a desktop support or even hardware support position can now be filled by a CCNA:S, which really doesn't add value to the position. (It doesn't hurt, but doesn't help, in this instance.) Or, if networking jobs are classed as IAT I or II, it could be very beneficial. I guess I'm just not a fan of 8570, it means well, but oftentimes just makes the problem worse by focusing on certs, not relevancy or actual experience.

I dont think it will be used in that way, I think in IT fields in DoD, you'll see System admins with A+ - Security+. and For people doing a pure security or network /security track they will go Sec+ - CCNA:S - CEH - CISSP. or something to that effect. What it also enables is for that shop networking guy to get the CCNA Sec vice Sec+. Also allows less CPE requirements in that you only have to maintain the certs relevant to your duties.