Options

List skills on your resume if you have no experience?

ganz27ganz27 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello. I have seen conflicting info on this topic in various threads here. I have my A+, Net +, and CCNA, but have no IT experience. I am not getting any calls for interviews for entry NOC jobs, so I am going to start looking for help desk positions. I feel like I would just be listing basic CCNA course info and terms, but should I do that to start getting calls and interviews? Currently my resume does not have a skills section. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    ganz27 wrote: »
    Hello. I have seen conflicting info on this topic in various threads here. I have my A+, Net +, and CCNA, but have no IT experience. I am not getting any calls for interviews for entry NOC jobs, so I am going to start looking for help desk positions. I feel like I would just be listing basic CCNA course info and terms, but should I do that to start getting calls and interviews? Currently my resume does not have a skills section. Thank you in advance.

First things first, post your resume. I wouldn't lie on your resume if I were you and you should most definitely look for a help desk job. You have to start somewhere, unfortunately certification does not guarantee you a higher position. To think so is cart before the horse mentality.

Get your foot in the door and from there you may find that networking isn't your thing and systems are. From there is where you can begin focusing on certification to supplement your experience and the direction you want to go.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It couldn't hurt maybe one of the buzz work may get caught in the screening process. Also you should put your resume up for review on this site.
  • Options
    ganz27ganz27 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. Definitely looking for entry level, just wondering if not having a skills section is leading to no calls/interviews. I suppose NOC is not entry level? I will post a resume soon, thanks.