Just wanted to say a big thank you

snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
I don't usually do this, but I really must write a thank you post. The information I've come across on this forum in regards to security certificates, career path expectation and just general advice has been amazing. Like many people who read this forum, I've been hunting for advice on what to do next. I've got two years of general IT experience under my belt, but then I decided to go get a law degree (don't ask why ha). Now that I've finished, I've realised that my real passion still lies in IT and especially in security. I've spent hours trying to work out what path I should take etc and there's so much conflicting info. I'm so glad that a friend mentioned this forum as I now have an idea of what I should be aiming for (qualifications and experience wise). Hopefully somewhere down the line I'll be able to use my degree in my IT career, but for now it's paying the bills/future study fees!

Just thought I'd pop by and show my appreciation.

Keep up the awesome work!

Comments

• Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_wink.gif

Ooh snap! I winked at you!
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
  • snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha you got a mention! :)
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gif
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A law degree can be very applicable in IT Security. I am an online gambling regulator and had I had some legal training my life would be vastly easier. You could have a really bright future in compliance or regulation.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    A law degree can be very applicable in IT Security. I am an online gambling regulator and had I had some legal training my life would be vastly easier. You could have a really bright future in compliance or regulation.

I was thinking the same thing. The law degree would only help on the compliance and regulation side especially. You could also work for law enforcement in an information security case capacity.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never actually thought about that. Thanks guys, it's definitely given me something to look into. The law enforcement road has always been something I've been interested in, but I don't meet the minimum unaided eyesight requirement. You never know what the future holds though!
  • maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    All the best in IT career.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    That's great to hear. Start hanging around in here and I'm sure you will continue to benefit from it and get good advice about starting and advancing your career.

Like the guys mentioned, you can pull a lot of use from that law degree so that is certainly something to think about.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I were in your shoes, I'd want to look at pursuing something within information forensics/cyber criminal prosecution. I think that field could be very interesting, and I'd think that a law degree would be very applicable.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You are in an enviable position - having a law degree +IT security is rare, since most don't get the law degree out of the way first, and that takes serious time and financial commitments. Keep your skills sharp, and try to get more security experience... I would kill to have a law degree. I have a Master's, but there is absolutely no way I could put the time or finances into a law degree at this point. A bit jealous of you. :)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Having been in law enforcement I can tell you that the runners and gunners are only a small piece of the puzzle. When it comes to computer crimes more often then not (at least in the states) there is a civilian analyst (or a non-gun carrying investigator) who will work on the case to provide the technical knowledge needed. Where I am we work with the State Police to prosecute crimes and they utilize our Investigators (who are sworn, but do not carry a weapon or have the power of arrest) for their specialized knowledge.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff