Options

Taking next two months off!

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Well after we were laid off, and my 7th job in 2 years (5 contracts -2 FTE jobs- 1 Merger-1 Outsourced IT)
and no vacation, I am taking off until April.

The $$ will not be an issue, however I am taking care of my 15 month old son. I must say coming out of management, dealing with just 1 kid from 9-5, is better than 10 lol. Anyway, I am taking the time to learn Html"5"/CSS3/& Javascript. Brush up on my Powershell, and do weekend reviews of all the cert material in my profile pic.

I started meditating before my last job, and it really helped me get through with barely any kind of emotion damage, however it was quite disconcerting how nasty/political Health Care can be (duh?.) The again, finding upstanding ethical, principle, honest, places has never been something I've been able to do, which is why I plan on taking a different approach versus chasing the $$$. I'll be seeing everyone around! icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sucks to be laid off, but congrats on getting some time to spend with your son!!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I could afford to, then I would stop working for a month in a heartbeat to spend time with my kids.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Been there..hang in there.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep, healthcare IT can be a b!tch. Unrealistic hospital administrators. Physicians with god complexes. Clinical office and billing "managers" running multi-million dollar operations with barely a HS diploma. "Nurses" with 6-month MA certificates. Old a$$ technology.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wish I could take a break! Props.

Full time nearly 10 years now.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yep, healthcare IT can be a b!tch. Unrealistic hospital administrators. Physicians with god complexes. Clinical office and billing "managers" running multi-million dollar operations with barely a HS diploma. "Nurses" with 6-month MA certificates. Old a$$ technology.

For every yin there is a yang. I'm in a large hospitals IT and it's almost 100% the opposite of what you described...except for the residents and their demigod complexes. The physicians are OK lol.

@op enjoy it man! My kids 21 months now, it goes quick. Default to Mr mom when things get tough trying to balance studying with watching the kid.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    For every yin there is a yang. I'm in a large hospitals IT and it's almost 100% the opposite of what you described...except for the residents and their demigod complexes. The physicians are OK lol.

@op enjoy it man! My kids 21 months now, it goes quick. Default to Mr mom when things get tough trying to balance studying with watching the kid.

Enjoy the time off, even though you got it in a non-fun way!

I'm with chris, yin-yang. I've worked in smaller facilities that are much like you describe. I now am in a decent sized healthcare environment and we get to play with some pretty cool tech and I haven't had t talk to an end user in years.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management