Options

Need major help!

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
So I have posted this last week about getting a new job and all. I'm currently an IT tech at a small hospital with about 600 employees. I got offered a job as a tier 3 help desk type role at another hospital which has about 5000 employees. The pay is 3 dollar increase and is bigger and more opportunities, and its 20 min closer. Now i gave my 2 weeks and my current boss is offering me a 5 dollar increase and the role of a systems admin. What should I do? Any advice?

Also I currentlybuse about 180 on gas a month and the new job I'll only use about 80 a month since its a lot closer.
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    Rell24Rell24 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go back to the new hospital you were thinking of going to with the offer you just received from your old hospital and see if they are willing to match. It's based on what you value most.
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

And who do you recommend I say that too. To their HR department? And also it was an offer by word. Would they need documentation of the offer to see in not lying.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does the offer from your current company feel right? Sometimes it is a last ditch effort from HR to keep you there (meaning they know your value). I would get the offer in writing and then see if the new job will counter the offer. But really if you like your current job, and they are willing to promote you then your better off staying. And if you enjoy the job now, take the $5 increase and the new Title and enjoy. But above all things, do what feels right.

Just my 2 cents.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Have you gotten the new offer in writing? Some verbal offer may never happen. I also wouldn't be too trustworthy of someone that is only promoting you because you are leaving. Why didn't they promote you anyway? At this point I'd just say thanks but no thanks and move on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□

I agree with you to a point with moving on. But lets face it, most companies don't pay their employees what they are worth. So by him putting his 2 weeks in they relies they need to step it up. Nothing new here, it's part of the process that is employee retention. They know it will cost more to get another IT person and train that person rather then paying the current employee more to keep him or her. It's Business, I don't like it but that's the world we live in.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree most companies don't pay them what they are worth, but the goal should be to find one that does. Not stay at one that obviously won't. Or at least one that won't without you presenting them with another offer.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Have you gotten the new offer in writing? Some verbal offer may never happen. I also wouldn't be too trustworthy of someone that is only promoting you because you are leaving. Why didn't they promote you anyway? At this point I'd just say thanks but no thanks and move on.

*Ding* *Ding* *Ding*

We have a winner here folks.

Which appears to have more room for advancement? Obviously not the first position, the new one seems more ideal. Don't always focus on the money, trust me that will come in time. Until then, focus mainly on which steps to take that will get you where you want to go.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    The new job has better room for advancement. I will be going from an IT staff of about 6 to 65. So thanks for all the advice everyone. I have made up my mind.
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    Good luck to you, pixa. I trust you have made the right decision. :)
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would recommend seeing if the new job will match . I got a 10k raise at my last IA job when I mentioned it.