Options

MS Degree Achieved!

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
Hello All,

After almost two years of working on it, I finally finished my MS degree as of this morning. This was definitely a bit more taxing on me than my undergraduate degree or the majority of my certifications because I found the course material a bit more dry and boring. I actually got REALLY close to quitting a couple of times there but now that it's done, I'm glad I finished.

In the long run, it'll make my resume look just a bit nicer and if I ever want to make the transition into management, It'll make that easier as well.
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! I cant wait to finish mine. Ill be done this coming December.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, Iris!

The last part of my B.S. has taken me a lot less time than I thought it would. If all goes right, I'll be starting that same M.S. by June. Hopefully I'll be able to push through the dry material. Compared to the undergrad program, what are the course completion assignments like? I know there are the two certification courses, but I haven't been able to get as much information about the program as I'd like.
  • Options
    Thanks!

This is going to be the first time in 5 years where I'm not splitting my focus between certifications and school. It's going to be strangely relaxing to be able to use my study time for just one certification at a time. I'm probably going to be a LOT less stressed trying to fight deadlines for school while struggling to get enough time to study for my certifications. That's been a really big struggle for me in the last year and a half. It was a lot easier at my old job because I had a lot more downtime at work but at my current job, there was no downtime and I'm lucky when I work only 50-60 hour weeks.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    @MSP-IT - I'm going to be completely honest with you: I *loved* the undergrad program at WGU but I was seriously dragging my feet during the MS program. A lot of the reading material is required and extremely dry and boring imho. The course completion assignments weren't unfair by any means but a lot more writings, reports and regulation which is pretty typical of a MS degree. I don't think that turned me off as much as just the reading material itself. There were times where I reread the same pages over and over again and was just so bored that I wasn't really soaking in the information.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Great to hear I have 4 more classes and I am done with my Undergrad. Was thinking about doing my Masters but I really dislike management. Did it at my previous job and the stress involved in managing people can make you lose faith in humanity....
  • Options
    ZazzlerZazzler Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

After almost two years of working on it, I finally finished my MS degree as of this morning. This was definitely a bit more taxing on me than my undergraduate degree or the majority of my certifications because I found the course material a bit more dry and boring. I actually got REALLY close to quitting a couple of times there but now that it's done, I'm glad I finished.

In the long run, it'll make my resume look just a bit nicer and if I ever want to make the transition into management, It'll make that easier as well.

Congrats! Was this through WGU?
    Currently Studying: MCSE: Private Cloud (70-246 in March; 70-247 in April)

Goals for 2014: MCSA: SQL 2012; Project+; CAPM; Linux+/LPIC-1

Thinking about: MS degree through WGU; CCNA: Security
  • Options
    Yep. Through WGU.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Congrats!

Where are you gonna go get your PhD? :)
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Great job. How much do you think you spent total out of pocket for both your degrees? You did WGU right?
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @MSP-IT - I'm going to be completely honest with you: I *loved* the undergrad program at WGU but I was seriously dragging my feet during the MS program. A lot of the reading material is required and extremely dry and boring imho. The course completion assignments weren't unfair by any means but a lot more writings, reports and regulation which is pretty typical of a MS degree. I don't think that turned me off as much as just the reading material itself. There were times where I reread the same pages over and over again and was just so bored that I wasn't really soaking in the information.

I'll be interested to see what the provided material entails, as the subject matter defined in the program outline seems very itneresting. Although I'm sure WGU provides proficient material, I've been inclined to look outside the provided resources to meet the assignment requirements for course completion. I've done that a lot with the undergrad material.
  • Options
    Hahaha! No Ph.D for me! I'm absolutely done with formal school.

I'd rather seek out a couple CCIEs and get them out of the way :) I think that would be more beneficial to my long-term career
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    Great job. How much do you think you spent total out of pocket for both your degrees? You did WGU right?

Yep. Did WGU.
    For my undergrad degree, I received a $600/semester scholarship and I graduated in 1.5 years. That's $2290 x 3 = $6870
    For my graduate degree, I paid about $3,000/semester and graduated in 1.5 years. That's $3,000 x 3 = $9,000

So total for an undergrad and graduate degree, that would be $15,870. I didn't end up having to pay for my undergrad though because at the time I had a job that had tuition reimbursement so I'm left with about $9K of debt for two degrees and a whole bunch of certifications.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    wompywompy Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome! I loved that feeling when I completed mine! Gratz well deserved!
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! I am thinking about getting a 2nd masters... but haven't made my mind up yet.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats, glad all the hard work paid off! It usually does ;)
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on finishing. You will be happy and relieved for a couple months !
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Yep. Did WGU.
    For my undergrad degree, I received a $600/semester scholarship and I graduated in 1.5 years. That's $2290 x 3 = $6870
    For my graduate degree, I paid about $3,000/semester and graduated in 1.5 years. That's $3,000 x 3 = $9,000

So total for an undergrad and graduate degree, that would be $15,870. I didn't end up having to pay for my undergrad though because at the time I had a job that had tuition reimbursement so I'm left with about $9K of debt for two degrees and a whole bunch of certifications.

Thats good value. You can get that paid off in now time and with all the degree's and certs thats a pretty cool deal.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Congrats!
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Iris! I am pursuing a MBA with a concentration in Info Sys Management myself and have roughly 1 year left. I was thinking of going for a Masters in Info Assurance as well eventually but I definitely plan to take a break too, or like you said strictly focus on certifications at that point. Trying to balance studying for both certs/school at the same time can be a hassle.
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Great job. I graduated with my MBA in 2005, and was never so glad to be done with school! Certifications are at my own pace, and that is so much easier. This will open doors in your future that you will be thankful for. Congratulations!
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats Iris!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome, congratulations.

maybe time for a nice two weeks vacation :)
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    abnmiabnmi Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Iris.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    That's great, congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.