Comptia Linux+ or LPIC-1??

pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
Sorry but I'm confused. It seems that either you can take Linux+ and it takes care of the first exam requirement for LPIC-1, or you take two exams for LPIC-1. Is there any recommendations on what to take first?

I'm a year into schooling which has me taking classes in administrating CentOS via the command line. I currently do not run Linux at home so that is as far as my knowledge goes.

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Linux+, if I remember correctly, requires two tests and is "powered by LPI". That means when you pass the requirements for Linux+, you pass the requirements for LPIC-1 and two Novell certs. Two tests, four certs.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    You'll also want to familiarize yourself with a debian flavour if you plan to certify. I used debian and Centos. This way you are familiar with the different package managers which you'll be tested on.
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Linux+, if I remember correctly, requires two tests and is "powered by LPI". That means when you pass the requirements for Linux+, you pass the requirements for LPIC-1 and two Novell certs. Two tests, four certs.

Wow, so if I were to pass Linux+, I'd get LPIC-1?? I see LPIC-1 is two exams also so I just want to be sure.
    Bryzey wrote: »
    You'll also want to familiarize yourself with a debian flavour if you plan to certify. I used debian and Centos. This way you are familiar with the different package managers which you'll be tested on.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll work on getting some VMs setup.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, take just the Linux+ exams and you will get the LPIC-1. Just make sure to read carefully how to do so. You'll find a thread about it here.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pamccabe wrote: »
    Wow, so if I were to pass Linux+, I'd get LPIC-1?? I see LPIC-1 is two exams also so I just want to be sure.

Linux+ = LPIC-1
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    as others have mentioned, if you do linux+ you'll get LPIC-1. But the detail that gets left out is if you do LPIC-1 you DON'T get Linux+ so don't do it backwards.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
    Thanks so much for the information guys. I appreciate it. Going to start rolling with this tonight...
  • ITrascalITrascal Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    better do it this way before they end up changing it!!!