Options

Didn't pass ICND1. Gah.

GhengisTGhengisT Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Took my first Cisco exam this morning. Scored a 722 and needed an 804 to pass. I know it's not far off, but still a bit discouraging. Surprisingly, the topics that I expected the most trouble with were the ones I did the best with (subnetting & routing). I just canceled my Tahoe snowboarding trip in lieu of studying and passing this damn exam.

There were a few questions that required more in depth knowledge of ICND2 topics that I never encountered in Odom's ICND1 updated 3rd edition book.

Cheers to taking it again.

Comments

• Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    You're right in that you're not too far off, so try not to be too discouraged. You will get there!
  • Options
    ednardednard Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Commiserations. You now know what to expect when taking the exam, and you're more aware of what you were short on and what needs work. Better luck with your next effort, don't be discouraged. Jump straight back on the horse and give it another go else you'll make it harder for yourself.
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Since you know where you had the most trouble, you might consider looking at some more advanced material in those areas. It might even be advantageous to work on some of the ICND2 material, at least in those areas.

Good luck on take 2!
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    GhengisTGhengisT Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the support guys. I have Odom's ICND2 and CCNA Sec books already and Pearson exams already loaded on my PC. I was specifically avoiding them so I wouldn't get ahead of myself.

Time to dig in!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep at it and just consider it an expensive practice test.

Good Luck on the next round.
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    You can find quite a bit of folks who have used the Odom or Lammie book to pass solely, myself included. I am sure we could use reference to other exams until 2017. I have seen some things on the CCNA Security studying that I remembered from Security+ I noticed similar aspects with Network+ studies and CCENT. Do not make excuses for the lack of good study habits, and/or lack of enough. None of it should be *trouble* if you took the time to study, some can do it in 3 weeks some in 3 months I have suffered the same, Rush to take a exam but not necessarily Ready.You can read a book in 19 days, but everyone cant understand that book in 19 days, if that makes sense. I try to be 100% honest…. ok, not sure what -not far off- is or peoples definition. but 722 ->804 is 82 points. Not trying to play daddy, when everyone is playing mommy
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not everyone is playing mommy. 82 points ISN'T far off. If he needs a 804 to pass, then he's basically 10% away from passing. That's like scoring a 60 on a test, when requiring a 70. Some people are better test takers than other, regardless of the material you understand or think you have a good grasp on.

Those 82 points could have been a few questions, one question with multiple segments, or something else. In certifications, no one cares if you score an 804 or a 1000 out of the possible 1000. In the end, it still says the certification name and yours.

Just keep trying man, you'll get it. You know what the test looks like now, you know what you felt weak on and you get a print out of the domains that you need help with. Study those.

Good luck.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just keep at it!. You wont come across too many people who have a couple Cisco certifications and haven't failed a few exams in their day. As mentioned before, working on the ICND2 material may help solidify what you have already learned at the ICND1 level. Most certainly focus on the exam topics and whatever your weak areas may be. Review your ICND1 material again and take detailed notes (especially on exam topics) that may help you pass the second time around. Good luck!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi

Sorry to hear that, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, brush up on the weaker points and nail it next time, i wish you the very best of luck for your next attempt

Carl icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What were the trouble spots on your score printout? We can probably direct you to some focused resources for those areas if you give us a general idea of what tripped you up last time.

I'm going for my retest in CCNA Security tonight... failed by 1% last time, but I'll get it this time - and you will too!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    You'll knock this exam next time GhengisT!
    Keep up the good work.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed ICND2 by about 20 points so I know the feeling well. What you need to do is focus on what your weak points were listed on that print-out spend the next week working on that weak subject and by the next exam you'll see your score shoot up more then just a few points!

Good Luck. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I failed ICND1 my first time too. Went back and labbed like crazy for about 2 weeks and tried again and kicked it's @$$. Good luck on your 2nd attempt.
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Just took it today, got 722 as well. I used boson ccent software and felt the questions were more difficult on the exam. The time your given doesn't help either but I'll knock it out next week!

Good luck on your next try!
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    This is interesting as I have heard so many times that Boson ExamSim is more difficult than the actual exam. Better luck next week though!