icon_arrow.gifATA/IDE/EIDE/SATA TechNote *NEW*

icon_arrow.gifPrinters TechNote

icon_arrow.gifCPUs and Sockets TechNote

icon_arrow.gifDisplay TechNote

icon_arrow.gifBIOS, CMOS and POST TechNote

icon_arrow.gifModems and Serial Ports TechNote

icon_arrow.gifPortables TechNote *NEW*

icon_arrow.gifBasic Networking TechNote

Please post comments, suggestions, remarks etc. by replying to this topic.

(Our TechNotes will eventually be combined into a complete studyguide, online and in PDF.)

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    icon_confused.gif: I was wondering if someone could supply me photos of the different SCSI connectors: Centronics 50 pins, 68 pins internal(flat ribbon), 50 pins internal and external etc. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Webmaster

Here is the resource I used when I started stying to figure SCSI out

http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/Pictures.html
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Thanks RussS

Although I need some original ones, this will do fine untill I get my own pictures or graphics.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a full set of them around here for interest purposes but biffef them a lil while back when I moved house. I will check in the labs and see if they have any there & will take some digipics for ya.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    That would be great Russ! I've tried making them in 3D studio MAX or Truespace but it took me about 3 hours to create a DB-9 connector ;)
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Nice site.

You have Socket A listed as 453 pins. I've found several resources listing Socket A at 462 pins. Can you confirm/refute that?

Thanks,

V
    I've triple checked and it does have 462 pins.
    (Where did I get that 453 from? icon_confused.gif )

Thanks for pointing that out!
    Just uploaded a new TechNote on BIOS, CMOS and POST.

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/cmos.shtml
  • dumblondemomdumblondemom Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I notice on your technote that you have ultra wide scsi as supporting only 8 devices but it is 16bit wide and according to the note at the bottom it should support 16. I probubly would not have noticed but I have another study note that says the same as yours and my course says 16. icon_confused.gif Whose right?
    Both actually :) well I do have to change it to 16 in the TechNote because the "note at the bottom" is the correct guideline... but it is like this:

Ultra Wide SCSI supports:
    - 16 devices if HVD signaling is used
    - 8 if SE signaling is used
    - 4 devices if SE signaling is used with a cable length of over 1.5m

Don't worry, CompTIA won't ask the maximum nr of devices supported on a Ultra Wide SCSI bus with SE signaling and cable length of below 1.5m ;)

Thanks for noticing!
    I was wondering if you could add to your tech note what each cpu has for L1 cache and L2 cache (if any) and which ones have the L2 on the die or on the board. Thanks Dumblondemom.
    I was wondering if you could add to your tech note what each cpu has for L1 cache and L2 cache (if any) and which ones have the L2 on the die or on the board. Thanks Dumblondemom.

That is a good idea, I'll see what I can do... :)
    Wow icon_eek.gif that would be a huge list...

I'll try to cram in to a couple of sentences later, but maybe this will do for now:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/quickreffam.htm

Look at the cache at those Intel® Itanium® 2 Processors icon_cool.gif
    icon_exclaim.gif Who knew icon_confused.gif: thanks for checking that out should really have done that myself icon_redface.gif Im better off memorizing which ones don't have it on the die. Of course now that there is L3 also on the die just adds to the memory overload. No pun intended, icon_wink.gif
    I didn't mind checking it out it all, I want the TechNotes to be complete and I do have to mention something about L2 cache, still not sure what though... yes, on-die or not on-die maybe.. is that the question? icon_lol.gif

Here's another good resource at intel:

icon_arrow.gifProcessor Spec Finder
    :D I just finished another A+ TechNote: Modems and Serial Ports:

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/modems.shtml

Next in line is "Monitors and Video"...

Johan
    As you probably noticed I haven't added a new A+ Core TechNote for a while. I've been having a bit of a dillema about if I should continue writing for the A+ 2001 objectives or not... well I won't. I'm working on a TechNote covering Domain 6. Basic Networking. I'm going to base this TechNote on the new A+ Core 2003 objectives, should not be a big problem since the objectives are largely the same so it should be good reading for current examinees as well... It will probably be the largest TechNote I've written so far, so it may take me a bit longer than a couple of days...
  • ComputerLover1ComputerLover1 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    HI All
    just wanted to say : Thank you for sharing your talent , skills and abilities . I am currently preparing to take my A+ certification and hope to do well my first time .

This a Wonderful Site
    ComputerLover1 : :D
    Without struggles there can not be progress
    Thanks Computerlover :D

Well people... it has been a while since my previous A+ core TechNote, but here it is, 10 pages long:

icon_arrow.gifBasic Networking

I've based it mostly on the 2003 exam objectives (Domain 6.0), which seem to cover networking in a bit more detail then the 2002 objectives, so for the current 2002 objectives this should be more than enough.

The 2003 objectives in gray, at the bottom of the TechNote will be added later this year when the new objectives take effect...

2 more TechNotes ("Portables", and "Displays") will be added this very month including many new practice questions. :)

Happy reading!

Johan
    I'm proud to inform you about the latest TechNotes for the A+ Core exam:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/display.shtml

These TechNotes have been written by Tracey Rosenblath, co-author of Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Passport. If you have any questions about the TechNotes (and future practice questions) she writes for TechExams.Net, please post them here (as a reply on this topic.) You will see her 'disguised' as Paisleysky :)

Enjoy the TechNotes, and let us know what you think!

Johan
  • rf646rf646 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just became a member today, and allready I love this site!!!
    I´m from the Netherlands and just started A + core, 8 day course.
    Anyway I just want to say that the info on here has helped me alot.
    Thanks.
    Welkom ;)

Another TechNote from Paisleysky will be hopefuly added this month, as well as 20 new practice questions, so check in once in a while :)
  • teddy_vashteddy_vash Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The tech Notes

thanks
    I hope this help
  • LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for providing the technotes. They helped A LOT! :D
    It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.
  • hawk99hawk99 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I have just started preparing for my A+ exam.

Is there any tips or advice you gentlemen and ladies can share with me?

Will your tech notes and doing practice tests be enough or should I be going over other material as well.

I have purchased the Enhanced A+ guide to Managing and Maintaining you PC 3rd edition. I have read 90% of it.

I am just nervous that I will forget something for I do not have a lot of bench work experience.

Thanks a bunch
  • bdmstbdmst Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster, thanks for such great study material. The Network+ was a great tool. Are there any plans on offering a nice PDF package for the A+ material? Thanks again!
  • DiamelsDiamels Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey I just signed in and am loving this forum I feel this place will become a nice resource for getting the certs I want and need :D
    bdmst wrote:
    Webmaster, thanks for such great study material. The Network+ was a great tool. Are there any plans on offering a nice PDF package for the A+ material? Thanks again!
    Thank you. Yes there will be a PDF version, and maybe an SE version. It will take more than a couple of weeks though. I'm currently working on a couple of PDFs for some MS exams, and more material for the CCNA and Sec+ exam. In between all of these I will write new and update the A+ TechNotes. I'm currently working on TechNotes about the IDE/ATA/RAID related exam objectives for the 2003 exam and will probably upload them Sunday or Monday. Later this month you can expect the 'Portables' TechNotes covering the essential topics from the new exam objectives that relate to portables.
    Diamels wrote:
    Hey I just signed in and am loving this forum I feel this place will become a nice resource for getting the certs I want and need :D
    Welcome on board :)
    I have just finished writing the ATA/IDE/EIDE/SATA TechNotes:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/apluscore/ide.shtml

Check the bottom of the page for the corresponding exam objectives.

Johan :D
  • RamsesKRamsesK Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i would like suggest a tech notes for wireless technologies and how it really works, still having problems with my small home wireless conection icon_cry.gif
    Formule One Racing Addict...
This discussion has been closed.