Options

Connecting modem to cisco router?

alfhonsealfhonse Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm planning on installing my ccna home lab and I was wondering how can I connect my modem to the router? Do I use the AUX port? Or do I buy a module for ADSL? I'm new here and this is my first post. Thanks in advanced for answering! icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    If it's an ethernet cable coming out of the modem, I'd plug it into an ethernet port on the router.
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    The AUX port is to connect a dial-up modem to administer the router remotely.
    If you would like to bring your lab "online" - connect an Ethernet cable from your DSL / Cable modem to the router.

So let say you hook up the Ethernet cable to Fastethernet 0/1, you need to use the "ip address dhcp" command so your Cisco router obtains a IP address from your service provider. Anyway, you will find all that info in your book :)

Also if you want to be "wet & wild" you can check out Cisco Routers
    That site is quite "beefy" with a lot of tutorials on how to do things.

Good luck!
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    alfhonse wrote: »
    I'm planning on installing my ccna home lab and I was wondering how can I connect my modem to the router? Do I use the AUX port? Or do I buy a module for ADSL? I'm new here and this is my first post. Thanks in advanced for answering! icon_lol.gif

Welcome to the forum! As far as connecting, what are you trying to do?

Are you wanting to make your ccna lab "live" and have access to outside and access to it from the internet?

OR something else?

There are many different ways to do this, and also this comes up very often so you can also check previous threads on how people get this done.

One way is via console servers, and then making the access to the console server available to/from the internet.
    Another way is to have remote access to your pc, then access the lab from your pc.
    Another is make sure you have connectivity to one cisco lab router/switch, and from there you would need connectivity to the rest.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    alfhonsealfhonse Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm really planning on making my home lab "live" and connecting it to the internet. Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll inform you all if I've made my progress. icon_thumright.gif