Options

How many really LOVE your job?

]Funny thing, I was talking to a couple of cop friends yesterday and after some brief conversing we somehow were on the topic of job satisfaction. They had asked me how much I liked doing IT/IA work and I replied, "I really enjoy it, its challenging etc..." But when I asked them the same they were so freakin enthusiastic about their jobs that I literally wanted to be a cop lol.

So I have been asking around here and there and it does not really seem like people like thier jobs as much as firefighters and cops do.

...So long story short, is IT you dream job, or are we all just fooling ourselves into thinking it’s an awesome job ;)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I love what I do, but dream job? Not really. I wouldn't mind being Indiana Jones if we are dreaming!

Realistically I have a pretty awesome job though. I enjoy the fast pace and ever changing technology. I have a very short attention span so I don't think I could do a repetitive task type job for years.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love working in InfoSec. Almost everything about it.

That being said if I was somehow forced to return to helpdesk or desktop support I would probably hate it. No offense to people in those positions, we've all spent time there.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My opinion is similar to networkers. I love the challenge of the environment I work in. Network changes take place everyday with the latest tech and for me that's awesome. However I don't know if I can say it's my dream job. A dream job for me would be no job at all :) with pay of course.
  • Options
    TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    I doubt you'd get very many honest answers. As for myself, I enjoy what I do, and I enjoy learning, so it's a good fit, but it's not necessarily something I LOVE. I'd prefer to travel the world, drink good craft beer, meet new people and experience different cultures for a living, but since I'm not qualified for a hosting gig on The Travel Channel, I'll just keep plugging away.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    TBickle wrote: »
    I'd prefer to travel the world, drink good craft beer, meet new people and experience different cultures for a living, but since I'm not qualified for a hosting gig on The Travel Channel, I'll just keep plugging away.

Yep, pretty much my dream job as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    I like the benefits of my job I can say that much, does the pay suck you bet,do I enjoy it no due to what some others have said. They are being challenged I am not but working on changing that. My dream job would be world traveler lol.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I love my job (INFOSEC Analyst) - the work is interesting, challenging, and rewarding (for the most part). I don't dread coming to work every day (in fact, I really look forward to it... especially on Sunday night).

That being said... I'd agree with TBickle... There are definitely other jobs that I think I would love even more - pro hockey player, pro video game player, Travel Channel host, or general rabble rouser/malcontent INFOSEC blogger.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I love the InfoSec field. I hate my current position in IAM, but I am sure I will love working in my new position in Risk Management. However, IT is a means to my ultimate goal. I'll be a homebuilder/developer at some point.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I doubt you'd get very many honest answers. As for myself, I enjoy what I do, and I enjoy learning, so it's a good fit, but it's not necessarily something I LOVE. I'd prefer to travel the world, drink good craft beer, meet new people and experience different cultures for a living, but since I'm not qualified for a hosting gig on The Travel Channel, I'll just keep plugging away.

I'm right there with you. If I only knew that there would be a Food Network back in the day.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, I've got my dream job - really enjoy what I do.

I wouldn't be adverse to adding director or CISO to the title, but in general, I'm quite happy where I am.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Add me to the "I love my job" crew. I am currently a Systems Engineer levitating more and more every day towards security. It's challenging, it's fun, it's well remunerated. I work in a great environment with lots of perks and flexibility. I wouldn't say it's my dream job, because that would involve my 3 passions: cars, guns, and women. There's none of the first two and just a bit of the third one here.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Hopefully this will be my last job. It is close to the best place I ever worked, which is the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena. Not only was I working a JPL, for 17 years, but I had access to the Caltech facilites. The Big Bang Theory hits home. But where I am now exposes me to a lot of new technology. VMware, ROCKS clusters, a Cray. Learning lots of stuff, but then I think if I only plan to work a few more years, what am I going to do with this knowledge?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Having been in law enforcement I always tend to believe we aren't the best people to ask if we loved our jobs. Very few jobs where you are basically your own boss, but without the hassles of running your own business. In LE you get a lot of autonomy and as long as your are close to your numbers along with not getting jammed up your supervisors will leave you alone. Also, no deadlines to speak of.

I can basically say I love what I am doing now as it is very much like LE with some minor differences. If I get moved into the position I want I'll then say that I love what I do. Of course being rich with the ability to do whatever I want or being a philosopher would be my preferred jobs. But since I doubt highly that either of those will happen I am more then happy with where I am.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE

Lol, yeah it seems the results are a bit skewed when it comes to Law Enforcement. I think it might have something to do with the fact that they have a lot of freedom and do adrenaline racing things here and there.
    ]...BTW how many years did you put in?
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The job is great!
    Its those end users I worry about...
  • Options
    5502george wrote: »
    Lol, yeah it seems the results are a bit skewed when it comes to Law Enforcement. I think it might have something to do with the fact that they have a lot of freedom and do adrenaline racing things here and there.

...BTW how many years did you put in?

I did just about three years before I moved on. Miss some aspects, happy to be rid of others haha
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    I do enjoy my job, but not sure I could say I love it. I work with some amazingly smart people, and am learning some quality skills. However, dream job would involve 8,000 horsepower, 1320' of cement, and a timer. Low 5 second trips with the only left turn being at the end of the straight path would make me LOVE my job.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't say that I've loved any of my previous IT jobs, but I am very grateful to have a job in the IT industry. I know with the right decisions, I will be able to land me a very comfortable senior position know that my future and my family's future is taken care of.

As for my dream job, I've always wanted to work for Car and Driver, MotorTrend, or Road and Track. Just imagine getting to test drive cars all day long! From small Ford Fiesta's all the way up to super exotics. Then add in getting paid to do it. Heaven? I think so!! :)
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    I'm loving what I'm doing, although a bit stressful to be in a systems admin role with very little experience. But so far i'm handling it, and loving it. Is it my dream job? No. Will a job in IT ever be considered as a dream job for me? Sort of, if only for the fact that I love technology.

My real dream job is actually out of IT, which is archaeology. If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to school just for that and doing that for the rest of my life. Oh, yes....
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Absolutely love it

Nothing like having something new to solve everyday icon_cheers.gif
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Having been in law enforcement I always tend to believe we aren't the best people to ask if we loved our jobs. Very few jobs where you are basically your own boss, but without the hassles of running your own business. In LE you get a lot of autonomy and as long as your are close to your numbers along with not getting jammed up your supervisors will leave you alone. Also, no deadlines to speak of.

I can basically say I love what I am doing now as it is very much like LE with some minor differences. If I get moved into the position I want I'll then say that I love what I do. Of course being rich with the ability to do whatever I want or being a philosopher would be my preferred jobs. But since I doubt highly that either of those will happen I am more then happy with where I am.

I left LE because I didn't like the group culture and the overly Conservative politics. Too much "Us Vs. Them" and "I wanna shoot someone today!" in the background chatter.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I loved my job. I traveled the world, did Linux admin work, and had decent work/life balance. Problem was it didn't pay enough and the management was a mess. So, I jumped ship for a large pay increase and better management. I'm waiting to see if I love the new position as much as I loved the old one.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I get a lot of satisfaction and fulfillment from my job. If I had a million in the bank and left my job tomorrow, I'd still end up doing more or less the same thing at home. Come to think of it, even if I had that much money I'd still rather be at the office since my employer is in the infosec space and there are tangible benefits. There's also the sense of constant urgency and intensity in a production operations environment that keeps pushing you mentally.

Yes, I practically work every day. And if I'm taking time off for vacation, it's usually for a training class.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770

I use to think this, but then I saw the movie Rush with Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl and now I want to be a Formula 1 driver :)

Do I love my job? Nah. It beats the hell out of mowing lawns in the 100+ weather though and the certification aspect adds nice tangible milestones that I find enjoyable. It also helps that it pays the bills, more so than any of my hometown peers. So thats nice.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Job, as in what I do or job, as in the place I am in?
    I doubt you'd get very many honest answers.

Buckle up - I am honest - I am probably not allowed to express my honest opinion here without firing up censor filters or moderators :) - I like the job SPEC, but can't stand (*) my current JOB ... Which means, I LOVE the technology I am working with but can't stand the environment and the tools given (don't even get me started at benefits and $£).

(*) Can't stand it too harsh ... just don't like / love it...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like my job although it could be better... at the end of the day, we have to make the job interesting too. It also depends on what kind of responsibility you presently have. If you have the opportunity to make a change, implement something that will make the infrastructure more efficient than its a good place to be.

I find it's more fun to work in an environment where things need to be put in place, policies defined, etc than to work at a place where it's all about support. Of course, some people like doing technical support and there's nothing wrong with that, however, the way I see it, any job can be fun if you're in the right position where you're challenged and are given the opportunity to shine and/or influence current and future projects.
  • Options
    I left LE because I didn't like the group culture and the overly Conservative politics. Too much "Us Vs. Them" and "I wanna shoot someone today!" in the background chatter.

I hear that! I was lucky that we didn't have a ton of "new" guys. I was one, but everyone else had come from a corrections background so you didn't get a lot of the "I wanna shoot someone" chatter. I was Federal so it was usually a 50/50 split between the liberal and conservatives. Ultimately I left because most of the time the laws we were enforcing I didn't believe were fair. The few people that actually deserved what they were getting made it important to do the work, but vast majority of the people were just trying to make their way and ultimately got picked up trying the best they could for their families. But now into an IT job with a shot at investigations so I'll be back in the game soon with the best of both worlds.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can't really say that I love my job. My job has responsibility; I am well compensated and there are interesting challenges. I probably would describe it as "I appreciate my job". I think it's really hard to ever find that perfect fit. For me, it would really need to be a job where its my own business before I think I could say that I love it.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well i spend 8+ hours there every day, which makes it 40+ hours a week with people i get to see more than family and friends so i may as well learn to love it. or spend the rest of time dreaming of what life could be if i had Bill Gates bank account and stay miserable.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I think it is best said like others said above.

I appreciate the job I have at it provides well for my family and I do like the people I work with. Do I love my job. Not so much but maybe the next place will make that change :)