Options

How many really LOVE your job?

2»

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I love networking. I really do enjoy that. I loved being a systems admin.

The trouble I have is that I find I get eroded by lots of little things that all add up to making me wanting to move. Though at the moment I have different drivers. I do get annoyed with politics. I then came to a realisation that I'll probably never TRULY be "happy" 100% of the time, there'll always be something that'll annoy me.

But whatever, I'll keep on trucking and getting new jobs and at least making more money whilst feeling less annoyed.

Moving out of Sysadmin work got me away from end users. That was a great source of annoyance that I don't have now, so that's nice. It is possible to move on and feel better.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think I am pretty lucky (in terms of really enjoying a job). Everyone I work with is easy to get along with, competent and willing to teach me what I need to know. I buy them donuts once a week and they love it. I learn a ton every week, and I love it.

I am tier 2 support w/refresh duties in a large hospital. I walk all over the place (which eases one of my main concerns with this profession, becoming sedentary) every day, I interact with new problems and new people every day, I don't technically have a boss (just a team lead, and he made it clear that if I do my job he isn't my boss lol) and I have great people to work with (I will repeat this one because I have worked jobs with crummy coworkers....it makes a huge difference). The pay is entry level, which is my only gripe. If this type of work paid better, I wouldn't mind being here for a few years. As it is now, I am very happy with my 12 month contract :)

My boss makes my (our) job easier as well. He told me on day 1 that we never tell an (internal) customer no if they ask us for something reasonable. Need certain software, even though that's not within our scope of work? No problem, create a ticket and shoot it off to the right team. Need a PC moved to a new office? Create the ticket, get it to their boss for approval then get it done. He said if we say yes, then later find out its just not possible its on the other teams to deliver that news. Since we are the face of IS/IT for the entire hospital, he says we get the right to "pass the buck" in regards to saying no to a customer. We represent two dozen IS teams, its important we are able to make people happy.

My boss gets that some days people call in sick on our team and one person will become flooded with tickets and those tickets will breach. He will go to bat and defend that person, take some blame or deflect it. If we are really busting our butt, I know no matter what he will take care of us.

Thats why I enjoy my job.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I love what I do, but I'm getting annoying with my employer. I'm extremely underpaid and layoffs every quarter make it hard to ask for a raise.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I really like what I do. Everything about it is great - the job, the people etc. The only thing I regret is not starting earlier. However, I wouldn't mind being a rock star or a pro football player or as most of you guys call it - soccer( icon_rolleyes.gif )
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    a pro football player or as most of you guys call it - soccer( icon_rolleyes.gif )

Hey man the feeling is mutual that is where i thought i would be by now or at least that was my goal but working with technology was my alternate career but being a pro soccer player has been and will always be my biggest passion but i had to let go of it eventually parents wanted a real educational path for me and the development for a soccer career in R.S.A really sucks and dis-organized so its not a peace of cake to start a career in football.

For me it has been a challenge starting a career in this field I am still struggling in some areas and having challenge here and there but i am sure if i fully adapt to it I would get the hang off it, so far I am loving the operations in this field and almost everything about, honestly what i hate most about this career is the customer side of things, I think its just me but i don't dealing with people let alone work with them and that's the sole I don't like public places like, the mall and other places where the so called "elite" hang out.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really enjoy the company I work for and the department I work in. I enjoy working in Virtual world.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Hey man the feeling is mutual that is where i thought i would be by now or at least that was my goal but working with technology was my alternate career but being a pro soccer player has been and will always be my biggest passion but i had to let go of it eventually parents wanted a real educational path for me and the development for a soccer career in R.S.A really sucks and dis-organized so its not a peace of cake to start a career in football.

For me it has been a challenge starting a career in this field I am still struggling in some areas and having challenge here and there but i am sure if i fully adapt to it I would get the hang off it, so far I am loving the operations in this field and almost everything about, honestly what i hate most about this career is the customer side of things, I think its just me but i don't dealing with people let alone work with them and that's the sole I don't like public places like, the mall and other places where the so called "elite" hang out.

I hear you! There was a German team whose scouts wanted me to go on trails in Germany when I was little. They even had a contract prepared. It was a second division team which was an awesome opportunity nonetheless. However, my mother thought I was insane for wanting to pursue it and I was way too young to be in a position to negotiate. If things had played out differently, you could have seen me lift the Champions League cup last year with Bayern lol :D

I guess it wasn't meant to be. I like what I am doing now and I really like where I am heading. You are right, IT is a great field. Plus dealing with annoying end users is something that will pass as you advance and progress in IT. However, I do think about what could have been. Every time I play with someone they go like "dude, for which team do you play?" or "how many years have you been training?". I've never received formal training, I have just always had an aptitude for it :D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Am I where I want to be? No. Love the job, my co-workers and the company. The stress level is low but it is hard to make a living in this position..I have that "living check to check" every two weeks which is where the stress does come in a little not a whole lot since I still live at home but I do want to make moves here.

Do I love the industry? Absolutely! I see myself not doing anything else in my life. Unless a lucky break.
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Keep your head up RomBUS, things will work out. ---Chris--- wish I had a boss like that. My current boss will be remember for a known name when he retires, really he just pawned me off to another person since he didn't have time for me, it is sad. Hardly ever talks to you and looks down at the ground too much.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am not yet working in IT but I find this topic interesting. I enjoy my current job and I expect to enjoy my future job. If I don't I will make an effort to remove myself from it.

However to the OP. I think the grass is always greener on the other side. I am sure being a cop or a firefighter has it ups and down as with any other job.
    I have not desire to love my job. I want to be interested in my work and enjoy doing it. The stuff I love to do i will tackle after work.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I honestly love my job. I wish I could get paid more, but I get paid pretty well for the amount of experience that I have.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hear you! There was a German team whose scouts wanted me to go on trails in Germany when I was little. They even had a contract prepared. It was a second division team which was an awesome opportunity nonetheless. However, my mother thought I was insane for wanting to pursue it and I was way too young to be in a position to negotiate. If things had played out differently, you could have seen me lift the Champions League cup last year with Bayern lol :D

I guess it wasn't meant to be. I like what I am doing now and I really like where I am heading. You are right, IT is a great field. Plus dealing with annoying end users is something that will pass as you advance and progress in IT. However, I do think about what could have been. Every time I play with someone they go like "dude, for which team do you play?" or "how many years have you been training?". I've never received formal training, I have just always had an aptitude for it :D

you must be good at it that's an opportunity of a life time I have always wanted to become one of those young players in some professional league, but you know it is what it is then i guess IT it is. I cant wait until I know everything that needs to be known in this field I bet i could be a bad ass at it, I guess we can say I am interest driven in this field so I might even branch out to different field within IT just for the fun of seeing how far the mind can go.
  • Options
    Antonio72Antonio72 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I remember watching a Ted Talk with Mike Rowe where he said that the happiest people he has ever met while working on Dirty Jobs were the people that remove roadkill.

I hate my job. It's not the work that I hate, it's a whole lot of little things. I work as a quancept programmer doing work in market research. I would hate it even more if I were out on the call floor, but it's not much better behind the scenes. Sure, the hours suck, our clients are idiots, supervisors like to point the finger before offering help, among other things. But those are all aspects I would expect in a lot of jobs. What I think is the worst part of it is the lack of respect. Not only from people that cringe when I say I work in market research, but also from my employer. It would help if we were paid a decent wage, but I believe that goes back to the disrespect. I've been told straight up by my direct supervisor that the only reason why I'm working there is because the people that are actually qualified would ask for more money than the company is willing to pay.

So that's why I'm going back to school. The plan is to earn my degree and get a decent job, hopefully something that I at least feel pays for the work I do. Not quite ready to join the ranks of roadkill removal just yet haha.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Antonio72 wrote: »
    I work as a quancept programmer
    Who else just googled this?
    Antonio72 wrote: »
    I've been told straight up by my direct supervisor that the only reason why I'm working there is because the people that are actually qualified would ask for more money than the company is willing to pay.
    Wow. That guy should have gotten a judy chop to the throat.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Who else just googled this?

Me, I googled it!

Unlike you, tprice5, I would not have judy chopped the supervisor. I'd have reached around his back, grabbed his underwear, and pulled them up over his head. Then, I would have continued holding them over his head, hockey-style, while I proceeded to whoop the ever lovin' daylights out of him. Or, I would have merely sat back down, faced my cubicle wall, and proceeded to quietly cry while softly banging my head against said cubicle wall. Either way, the supervisor would have had my self-respect firmly in his grasp.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I LIKE my job a lot. I work with great people that treat their coworkers as family. On top of that it's mostly a casual environment and family friendly. On top of all that I've been the given the oppurtunity to work in Information Security. Love the job? Hmmmm.... Not sure yet :)

I could easily see myself on an island doing the same thing and REALLY loving it...
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to, but I feel like I'm burning out doing desktop support. I need a challenge. Which is why I'm studying for CCNA hehe
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Good luck no!all!, I am working on my A+ for now. As for Antonio72, I hear you. Trust me I hear you. Just like I told my current boss, we needed to hire someone a year ago full time. I told the my co worker who I work with quite often. Like my wife and others have said, it will get better. I don't give up hope due to I am getting some more hits on the looking for work. I have not given up hope, just have to wait for the right time and job when it comes and I know it will come eventually. I think the hard part to swallow is the pay, wages are not being kept up with the inflation. I know some people will say its not your jobs fault. I took steps in educating myself. I need some certs now to get me in the door. From there I know I can be of value to some place. You just have to do what I do, grind it for now till something comes along better and trust me it will. Good luck sir.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    traceyketraceyke Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    no!all! wrote: »
    I used to, but I feel like I'm burning out doing desktop support. I need a challenge. Which is why I'm studying for CCNA hehe

You and me both! :)
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I certainly wouldn't call this my dream job but I do enjoy the challenge and having worked retail for such a big chunk of my life it's really nice to NOT be embarrassed to tell people where you work.

Sometimes I think I was supposed to be a journalist in Third World war zones- that has always appealed to me for some reason. That or a gear tester for L.L. Bean or something and get paid to go camping all the time.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I love being able to work at a place where I'm able to experiment w/ different technologies and the people I work w/ are actually pretty cool. Only part that sucks that I'll probably have to leave soon as my contract is good until the end of the May and I'm not trying to stick around to find out if they keep me or let me go after being extended twice now.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021