CEH in one month realistic?

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
I am starting the MSISA at WGU on March 1st and planning on taking the CRISC in June. I've been trying to decide whether to just do the non-cert classes for my first term as I plan on doing ISACA certs in June, September, and December, or knock out my CEH right away as I have really been wanting to get it.

So I was thinking of starting on the CEH March 1st and trying to finish around April 1st that way I'd have two and a half months of CRISC prep.

I know length of time for study depends on the individual so here is my background:

7 years InfoSec experience most of it in access control. Some policy, governance and compliance. 1.5 years of technical security. I have a basic understanding of the penetration testing process and some of the more well known tools. I have a PT lab set up that I've been using to learn on.

I'd be studying for an hour or two in the morning, on lunch break, and some study time at night and on weekends. So is it realistic to try and tackle it in one month?
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Absolutely. I would consider this exam easier than CompTIA exams.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140

Seriously?
    CEH has this beefy reputation of being hardcore?

Ex. Media all over the place after Snowden being a CEH after taking 5 day bootcamp course in India etc.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Yes. Seriously. It's just an exam on how to use a bunch of different tools.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Trashman wrote: »
    Seriously?
    CEH has this beefy reputation of being hardcore?

Ex. Media all over the place after Snowden being a CEH after taking 5 day bootcamp course in India etc.

It doesn't have a hardcore rep here, IMO. I totally agree w/Iris... and if poor grammar on a 'professional' test bothers you, you will be quite annoyed by the end of the test. It was clearly written by someone whose native language is not English, and for the kind of scratch they are raking in with their fees, both testing and application 'fees'', they couldn't be bothered to have someone professionally proofread their exam questions.

*steps off soapbox*
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    CEH hardcore? Have you been talking to someone from EC Council?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I think there are more than enough hints in the posts in this forum to give CEH exam candidates an accurate idea of what they should be thoroughly studying to pass.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod

Thanks for the vote of confidence Iris. I'm leaning towards giving the CEH a go as I will be be able to devote a good bit of time to it for the month of March.

JD, did you read my original post? It was not a question of what to study, as you're right the other threads are more than helpful in that regard. It's a question of given my background, is one month a realistic amount of time to study.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, I read your original post. Determining how much time time one will need to study to pass an exam depends on discovering what one does not already know that is covered by the exam. You are the only person who can make that discovery because only you will know what it is that you do not already know when you see it. To help speed up your discovery process, read what other CEH candidates have posted here about what they felt was best to study for the CEH exam and determine if studying that amount of information will fit within your exam window.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A month is sufficient I think, if you know the terminologies of security such as in security+ you can pass.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree, good luck with studying on it!
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    CEH hardcore? Have you been talking to someone from EC Council?

No never.
    I haven't been looking into that cert too much just yet.

Just been reading articles about it and test centers are advertising:

"To beat a hacker, you have to think like a hacker! This is the premise of flagship certification, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), which teaches you the tools and techniques from the world's most notorious underground hackers."
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took my CEH last year, and I begin to notice that exam asked more questions about the result of the tools and identifying attacks than the tool itself.

Now one thing is just pass the exam and other thing is learning the material.

I have a friend who pass the MCSE in three month and I still see the missing gasp, he was good learning how to pass the exam.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.