Canadian Job Market?

UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking into moving up to Canada particularly the Vancouver area for several personal reasons.

How is the job market up in Canada, particularly in the IT field?
Also are they kind to hiring forgieners?
Last thing, anyone have any working experience especially in the vancouver area or Canada in general? How was it?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Job market is relatively good. Vancouver is heavy on developers though so if that's not your forte it may be a bit harder to land an initial job. Shortage of IT workers in general like everywhere else though.

Foreigner as in American? The only concern for you would be the trash talk form the beating we gave you in hockey.
    It's a very expensive city to own land in though and rentals aern't exactly cheap so you'd need to take CoL into consideration.
    It's very much like seattle to me if that helps you associate it with somewhere.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I have considered Montreal....the only reason keeping me from moving is the cold weather. I visited last year and the job market seemed to be good.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I was working in the Vancouver area a year back and I can tell you there are tons of jobs. In Montreal there are also a lot of jobs but you might have a hard time if you don't speak french.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chivalry1 wrote: »
    I have considered Montreal....the only reason keeping me from moving is the cold weather. I visited last year and the job market seemed to be good.

Unless you speak French, I would think twice about Montreal. You can find jobs in English only but you severely restrict your opportunities...
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...
  • UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know a very limited amount of French, but I'm not really interested in the east coast.

Thank you for your responses. I've been looking around, but haven't yet applied to anything. Aiming to this weekend though.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Unless you speak French, I would think twice about Montreal. You can find jobs in English only but you severely restrict your opportunities...

I speak French and also fluent in Quebecois which is the reason I am interested in moving there.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Montreal is an interesting place to live, no doubt, I am from Montreal. Since you speak french, you'd probably fit right in.

The winters here are something else... the one thing I dislike about living in Montreal. Other than that, nice city.
  • CannibalpriestCannibalpriest Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This post is actually extremely relevant to me. Both of my parents were Canadian but I was born in Florida, so through their laws I was technically a Canadian by birth. So I've been considering using my citizenship to get the hell out of America. They're from Ontario but Vancouver has been were I've been looking at the most, a little warmer and I've heard the IT job market is fairly good. I've also been told to check out Victoria on Vancouver Island, the capital of BC. Go look at jobs on ca.indeed.com
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My rankings having lived in all but Vancouver for a 20/30 something. Completely subjective based on my needs.

Quality of living:
    Montreal
    Toronto
    Vancouver
    Calgary

Career:
    Toronto/Calgary
    Ottawa
    Montreal (if you speak french)
    Vancouver

A plus for montreal it's filled with bombshells. Easily the best looking women in the country.