Options

Layer 2 switch won't forward traffic

dellpedellpe Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a very simple question - How to get my WS-C2960S-24TS-L switch to forward layer 2 VLAN traffic across a trunk port without a SVI or ip routing configured. I have a Router set as a VTP server, and a switch set as a VTP client connected over a channel-group dot1q trunk link. The switch has no ip routing configured and no SVI. It has received the VLAN info from the router and I have assigned a switchport into a VLAN and added a host, I gave the host a static IP in that VLAN subnet and cant ping the default gateway for that VLAN on the router.

I would post my config but I don't think that is the issue, I think I am missing a core concept here. I have made sure all links are up and double checked everything from that perspective.

Comments

• Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    You don't need an SVI or IP Routing to forward L2 traffic over a trunk. On L2 switches, you can't even have more than one up/up SVI. :)

I'd check your dot1q sub-interface configuration and both the access switchport in question and the trunking switchport configuration.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    dellpe wrote: »
    I have a very simple question - How to get a switch to forward layer 2 VLAN traffic across a trunk port without a SVI or ip routing configured. I have a Router set as a VTP server, and a switch set as a VTP client connected over a channel-group dot1q trunk link. The switch has no ip routing configured and no SVI. It has received the VLAN info from the router and I have assigned a switchport into a VLAN and added a host, I gave the host a static IP in that VLAN subnet and cant ping the default gateway for that VLAN on the router.

I would post my config but I don't think that is the issue, I think I am missing a core concept here. I have made sure all links are up and double checked everything from that perspective.

Ok, so let's troubleshoot this issue. Which VLAN/s are you using? Are they spanning across the trunk? Have you set the default gateway on the L2 switch?

Post some of your troubleshooting steps. Not posting your config is the number one mistake, if you can't articulate the issue at hand then post the config so we can look at it. Until then it's only guess work for us.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?