Options

University of the People

ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just heard of a free, accredited online university. To my understanding looks like they are sponsored by a number of corporates and the UN hence the ability to offer free tuition and almost free degrees ($50 application fee, $100 per module exam fee).

University of the People accredited

Anyone think their qualifications would be of any value in the real world ?

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interesting.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    From their most recent catalog:

Notes about the University
    1. At present, University of the People is not an accredited institution. Accordingly, at this time, students should be aware that a degree from UoPeople is not recognized for some employment positions, including, but not limited to, positions with the State of California. In addition, graduates may not be eligible to sit for any applicable licensure exams in California and other states, if relevant.
    2. University of the People is a private institution approved to operate by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @Bokeh - not being accredited puts a damper BUT from a "third world" perspective just having a degree is a step in the right direction. I don't really expect these degrees to hold as much weight as the more established institutions; what I find interesting is the availability of a free option to attain a degree. In some countries a degree is basically just a dream unless one has access to big bucks.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    On their website they say that they have DETC accreditation, which is national, if I remember correctly. Of course, in the US, national accreditation is less valuable.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It looked interesting to me, but not available (they don't accept registrations from some states)
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    If nothing else it might be a good use of $50 just to go through their classes.
  • Options
    jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm thinking of giving this a go. Any thoughts or reviews on the Comp Sci course they offer? I have IT certs and 15 years experience, but no degree. I can't afford an online degree - not even from the Uni of Phoenix icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally would never put a degree from "University of the people" on a resume. If I am going to FORCE myself to go to school it would be from a name most people will recognize.

....But if thats your only choice geter done!
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I'm thinking of giving this a go. Any thoughts or reviews on the Comp Sci course they offer? I have IT certs and 15 years experience, but no degree. I can't afford an online degree - not even from the Uni of Phoenix icon_wink.gif

You should double check your facts. University of Phoenix might be the most expensive option out there.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think this is a good thing and with the abysmal completion rates of free online classes it is a good way to find the ambitious types of people who might not be able to go to college through other traditional methods.