Any other March WGU starters?

QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone else starting WGU March 1st? (Well, March 3rd technically) I'm going for the Net Admin concentration, walking in with 53 CU's cleared from an AS in Business, 68 to go. (I think that's right)

I'm really hoping to expedite this process!!

Comments

• jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually started on jan 1st but I got all the material and started studying way before that
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will probably start in May, I'm just settling into a new job and don't want to go in distracted. I'm hoping to get through it quickly too.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    jahaziel wrote: »
    I actually started on jan 1st but I got all the material and started studying way before that

How did you get the material prior to the start date? Was this independent material, or did you somehow get access to their actual course material?

I'll be starting April 1st myself in the Net Admin concentration.
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Also starting April. Excited to get in and get started! Even bought a WGU polo!
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    I start March 1st, also doing Network Admin. I only brought in 16 CUs, so I hope I can finish this in 3 years (or less)!
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Starting the MSISA on March 1st!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • CertinatorCertinator Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll be starting the N.A. degree program in March with 52 CU's transferred and my goal is to be done in 8 months tops.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice!! Good luck to everyone!!

On a side note, there's an unofficial WGU app out there. Anyone else try it out? I see to have more access in the app than I do through the Portal. Can't see my degree plan on the portal, but I see it in the app.
  • Flat4ForLifeFlat4ForLife Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, new guy here. Redditor /u/beantownmp told me of this website in the WGU subreddit, thanks to him/her for that.

I'll be starting in March as well. IT Sec program, transferring in my CCAF and A+ getting me 42 CU transferred, 81 to go.

On the PocketWGU app, I noticed the same thing. I can actually preview my courses and look at the details on that, but I cannot on the website. I called the orientation people about that and they said that people in certain programs (seems everyone in any IT program) are not able to access the My Degree Plan or courses until their start date because it is being "revamped". Would be nice to be able to get a little jump start on what classes we are looking at, but oh well.

On another note, I'm glad that this seems to be a very active forum from WGU students and all IT people alike, I will definitely be looking here for info and help!
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    I just noticed that on PocketWGU. Looking at my courses, it looks like i'm tentatively scheduled to go to 8 terms.

I'm definitely going to try and attempt to accelerate this as much as I can.
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TomkoTech wrote: »
    How did you get the material prior to the start date? Was this independent material, or did you somehow get access to their actual course material?

I'll be starting April 1st myself in the Net Admin concentration.

When you sign in and click on degree plan, sometimes the courses are there before the start date, which would let you access the material before you actually begin.
    I just noticed that on PocketWGU. Looking at my courses, it looks like i'm tentatively scheduled to go to 8 terms.

I'm definitely going to try and attempt to accelerate this as much as I can.

Don't worry so much about what the degree plan has you scheduled for as the more you complete beyond the 12 credit minimum is the closer that finish date becomes. Just set yourself a personal goal that you want to complete (and which courses first) then work on them. If you happen to get a mentor that is a stickler on rules. Complete the first 12 credits they assign you and then choose what courses you want to take after that as there are no requirements on which courses must be taken first for the accelerated courses, but keep in mind, once you accelerate a course, you must finish it...it cannot be dropped.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wanted to but unfortunately my former school (Kaplan) doesn't have their stuff together and wasn't able to cancel out everything like they should have in regards to my pell grant. So it looks like it's April 1 for me.
    markulous wrote: »
    I wanted to but unfortunately my former school (Kaplan) doesn't have their stuff together and wasn't able to cancel out everything like they should have in regards to my pell grant. So it looks like it's April 1 for me.

Had the same happen to me with Iowa State. I got pushed back from Jan 1st to Mar 1st. MAKE SURE you keep on top of Kaplan and keep checking with WGU because I wasted like 3 weeks by not keeping on top of Iowa State to make sure they did it correctly.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Had the same happen to me with Iowa State. I got pushed back from Jan 1st to Mar 1st. MAKE SURE you keep on top of Kaplan and keep checking with WGU because I wasted like 3 weeks by not keeping on top of Iowa State to make sure they did it correctly.

Oh man, how frustrating. I guess this thing isn't as rare as I thought. I have called Kaplan about 6 times, but I'm still not confident they have done it correctly. It still shows as a pending cancellation to WGU. I will definitely keep on them. I wanted to start weeks ago to start getting some certs under my belt but it stinks some of these schools have bad processes.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh man, I am sorry to hear about all that trouble!! What a pain in the butt, that's the last thing you need when trying to change schools. Hope it all works out quickly!!
    markulous wrote: »
    Oh man, how frustrating. I guess this thing isn't as rare as I thought. I have called Kaplan about 6 times, but I'm still not confident they have done it correctly. It still shows as a pending cancellation to WGU. I will definitely keep on them. I wanted to start weeks ago to start getting some certs under my belt but it stinks some of these schools have bad processes.

If it helps, I was told by WGU that the school has to go past the first screen that might show aid cancelled. Like go more into the record to confirm. It was after I relayed this to Iowa State, that it was finally fixed.
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    If it helps, I was told by WGU that the school has to go past the first screen that might show aid cancelled. Like go more into the record to confirm. It was after I relayed this to Iowa State, that it was finally fixed.

My very last call with WGU, I was finally told that same thing. The last guy at Kaplan swore up and down that everything on their end was fixed, but we'll see.
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    March 1 start here as well! MBA: IT MGMT

Going for the 1 term finish! Best of luck everyone!icon_study.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    March 1st! IT Security!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck everyone! I graduated from their MBA Strategy degree program and learned quite a bit in the process. I am less than 18,000 in debt after the fact as well. Great value IMO.
  • DessicoDessico Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another WGU newbie here. "Started" March 1st (IT - Security), but was able to get everything finalized last night. Working through Linux+ LabSims now. :)