Options

Admins/Engineers: CLI or GUI?

CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
I am curious about what most network guys use to configure devices on their job, CLI or GUI (CCP/ASDM/CSM)?

In my CCNA-Sec studies, the instructor says that most professionals, especially in environments with many devices, like to use a GUI to streamline their commands, put it in a text file, customize the text file, then push/enter it at the CLI. Is this typical?

I kind of imagine for simple tweaks on a small number of devices that people would just use the CLI and maybe for more complex tweaks on a larger number of devices they use the GUI?

Also, is CCNP-Sec similar to CCNA-Sec in pushing the GUI, or does it dive deeper into the CLI I hope?

Thanks!
IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
(Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
Required:
SBT1 RGT1 RIT1

Comments

• Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    We use GUI for our MetroE, ATM, SONET, and some TDM gear but use CLI for everything else. We have several hundred devices on the network. I think it's actually close to a thousand. We don't have a lot of Cisco gear though (less than 100) and don't use CCP, ASDM, or CSM.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    GUI for me, for Ironport and ASDM/AnyConnect. So, so much easier to see and understand for me.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Generally on firewalls I use a GUI unless I have the commands ready. For Routers and Switches I use Excel to get my configs ready and then I copy and paste into the device or run a script to log into several devices and do it at 1 time. If you are in a large enterprise you can get tools do this for you, but as an consultant the price of these tools would be close to 10K for me.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always prefer the CLI as it's generally less overhead to manage with and often easier to "read" on the screen for me. There are cases where a GUI is preferred, but as a general rule I reach for the command line first if I have a choice. As soon as I have to manage something through a web UI, I have to consider the potential of web-based attacks, browser plugins, etc. which increases the attack surface.

In addition, if a network device has a web management interface available, it immediately becomes a candidate for web application scanning which adds more time to a vuln scan.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Always CLI for Firewalls and troubleshooting voice routers, CCA or CCP I'll use for an advanced setup but I use CLI for adding ephones or dn's.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Voice/Routing/Switching 100% CLI. Same for ASA unless I’m implementing something new – If so, I’ll use the GUI and analyze the configuration changes, then use the CLI (like your instructor mentioned).

Zone-Based Firewalls are a different story if you started out with a GUI generated config – they are a nightmare to work on via the CLI after that.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Very interesting replies, it is cool to get an insight into how you guys do your jobs because hopefully I will be there one day!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    docrice wrote: »
    I always prefer the CLI as it's generally less overhead to manage with and often easier to "read" on the screen for me. There are cases where a GUI is preferred, but as a general rule I reach for the command line first if I have a choice. As soon as I have to manage something through a web UI, I have to consider the potential of web-based attacks, browser plugins, etc. which increases the attack surface.

In addition, if a network device has a web management interface available, it immediately becomes a candidate for web application scanning which adds more time to a vuln scan.
    Yes, especially if your Front end code is as bad as Asus and D-Link..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We're 99% GUI due to Merakis which I like a lot.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    We are using GUI ASDM with ASA firewall configuration and CLI when configuring router or switches.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CLI 99.9% of the time Routing/switching and Gui for firewalls/ASA 80% of the time.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work with Cisco,Juniper,brocade,riverbed,mcafee. The only time I have used a GUI is when changing an image on a Juniper.
    I have never used the CCP except to practice for the CCNA:SECURITY exam.
    In pursuit of CCNA:SECURITY; CCNP; THEN MCSE
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I used the command line for years before I saw a GUI (Windows 1.0 and 2.0, Macintosh, and the X Window System) and didn't think much of them. I still prefer the CLI for tools with simple and list output (Nmap, tracert, etc.). However, you can't beat grids and tables in a Web browser-based GUI for carving and massaging log and packet data. The right tool for the right job.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    100% command line for (cisco) routers, switches, and ASA's. Even on the voice routers I prefer CLI. Though, when it comes to HP and other products, I always use GUI.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use CLI for all cutovers. I will use the ASDM to just look at things sometimes, but never for configuration. I don't like what it does to the configuraton, and there still to this day is not 100% parity with the CLI.

With the CLI, you can **** a full configuration to text, throw it on a lab device if needed, make all cutover specific changes and have a full cutover config ready to go. All you do is hit enter or maybe copy it to startup and reload. This is the easiest and most painless way to handle a cutover.

Customer: How long is this going to take?
    Me: You can go get coffee, but we will be done before you get back.
    Customer: :)
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BUT, start gearing yourself up for some GUI work. TRUST me on that.