Options

Which of these two labs should I grab?

itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
Hi everyone, which of these two labs is the best one to grab.

Ebay:
Complete Cisco CCNA & CCNP Certified Network Professional Home Lab Kit 15.1

or

Advanced CCNA 200-120 Starter CCNP Kit III

Thanks In Advance!

Network Administrator
:

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT

Comments

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    Buy the devices separately will make it reasonably cheaper
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • Options
    Trashman wrote: »
    Buy the devices separately will make it reasonably cheaper

I agree but I am paying to avoid needing to do that. XD is why I am trying to get a lab straight up. Shopping for them separately would be nice but then I have to spend time searching for each device, cables, etc...

Ok if I was to grab them separately on Ebay. What model should I grab 3x router and 3x switches that will allow me to cover the CCNA and CCNP without needing to do any upgrades?

Example of what I am looking at separately:
    - Router #1 2801 256/64
    - Router #2 2801 256/64
    - Router #3 2801 256/64
    - Switch #1 2960
    - Switch #2 3550
    - Switch #3 3560

Does that sound about right?

Network Administrator
    :

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    thats pretty expensive. You can get through damn near all of the CCNA/CCNP with packet tracer and GNS3. There will come a time when you need some switches, but I would wait until you at least have a CCNA and decide if this is the path you want to go. We can help you get a lab put together on this board if your willing to put the time in and ask the right questions. Those are very pricy for what you are getting.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    thats pretty expensive. You can get through damn near all of the CCNA/CCNP with packet tracer and GNS3. There will come a time when you need some switches, but I would wait until you at least have a CCNA and decide if this is the path you want to go. We can help you get a lab put together on this board if your willing to put the time in and ask the right questions. Those are very pricy for what you are getting.

Thanks!

Network Administrator
    :

• Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    While you can use GNS3 and the like for routers all the way through, it's still nice to have Cisco actually in your network. You probably shouldn't put three routers between you and your edge for no reason, but you can still test and lab a lot of things that way.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you probably should have added this under one of your other posts on the same topic. This keeps everything in one spot and helps avoid repeat questions.

I don't think anyone will recommend starting with a high end kit so you will have to suck it up and decide for yourself.

I personally like the 1841 routers but going forward everything changes. Once you have your CCNA you will probably have a better idea of what else you want. I plan to get my CCNA this summer and I look forward to searching ebay for new toys as I move to my next cert.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    elderkai wrote: »
    While you can use GNS3 and the like for routers all the way through, it's still nice to have Cisco actually in your network. You probably shouldn't put three routers between you and your edge for no reason, but you can still test and lab a lot of things that way.

This +1
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Thanks I have made my mind in getting the "Cisco Complete CCNA & CCNP Certified Network Professional Home Lab Kit 15.1IOS"
    The thing is I am not one for to use GNS3, or Packet Tracer. I have both but I enjoy working with the equipment itself. I have tools to test myself now, and will get lab books, videos, etc... just the lab is what I am missing. My goal is to setup a my lab and link it to my friend lab at another city. We will be doing studies and test that way. I already work with network devices just not Cisco type at the moment. Is why having a Cisco lab is very important to me.

I understand no one will recommend it, I never asked for any recommendation except which one will complete what I am searching for. However; I asked my question to other people who answer it already. Is why I am set with the lab I want and should accomplished all I need for both exams. Plus gives me room to expand.

Network Administrator
    :

• Options
    itangel wrote: »
    Thanks I have made my mind in getting the "Cisco Complete CCNA & CCNP Certified Network Professional Home Lab Kit 15.1IOS"
    The thing is I am not one for to use GNS3, or Packet Tracer. I have both but I enjoy working with the equipment itself. I have tools to test myself now, and will get lab books, videos, etc... just the lab is what I am missing. My goal is to setup a my lab and link it to my friend lab at another city. We will be doing studies and test that way. I already work with network devices just not Cisco type at the moment. Is why having a Cisco lab is very important to me.

I understand no one will recommend it, I never asked for any recommendation except which one will complete what I am searching for. However; I asked my question to other people who answer it already. Is why I am set with the lab I want and should accomplished all I need for both exams. Plus gives me room to expand.

Cool, let us know how you like it when you get the kit. Price is fair, of course you could possibly get it for less if you find each device and get them cheap(er) but overall it's not a bad lab. Did you order it?
  • Options
    JeanM wrote: »
    Cool, let us know how you like it when you get the kit. Price is fair, of course you could possibly get it for less if you find each device and get them cheap(er) but overall it's not a bad lab. Did you order it?

Yea I know it would be cheaper for sure to get the parts piece by piece, but I am kind of lazy at the moment to do that. XD This lab seems to fit the requirements I need to get both exam done. Plus it will allow me to add Voice later on if i need to. I am about to order it today. Trying to figure out if I should grab an access server or not. Not sure if that is important on the Exam or if is needed to make things simple to work with.

Network Administrator
    :

• Options
    itangel wrote: »
    Yea I know it would be cheaper for sure to get the parts piece by piece, but I am kind of lazy at the moment to do that. XD This lab seems to fit the requirements I need to get both exam done. Plus it will allow me to add Voice later on if i need to. I am about to order it today. Trying to figure out if I should grab an access server or not. Not sure if that is important on the Exam or if is needed to make things simple to work with.

Please read this - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/associate/ccna/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/list/ccna_composite2.html#~Topics

You can see, access server is not on the list. It's something you can add for your lab if you like.