Options

Passed ICND1

NetEngNetEng Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed today with a 920.

I have jumped right into studying for ICND2. I plan to take that test by the end of the month.

Comments

• Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    your already a network engineer without a CCNA?
  • Options
    I have been a network engineer for 12 years with my current employer. I started off in Network Operations with a CCNA I got in 2002 which expired in 2005. I have since worked my way up to a senior network engineer position without further certification. My employer has never required certifications but they have recently started "strongly" encouraging. They are allowing us to expense the cost of the certification plus offering a bonus once we pass.
  • Options
    fov001fov001 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NetEng wrote: »
    Passed today with a 920.

I have jumped right into studying for ICND2. I plan to take that test by the end of the month.

Congratulations man! I also passed the ICND1 two days ago and jumped into ICND2 right away. I have to take my test by the end of the month....only difference is that I don't work as a network engineer yet icon_sad.gif

good luck!
  • Options
    fov001 wrote: »
    Congratulations man! I also passed the ICND1 two days ago and jumped into ICND2 right away. I have to take my test by the end of the month....only difference is that I don't work as a network engineer yet icon_sad.gif

good luck!

Thanks, and good luck to you too.

I don't know much about the job market in NY, but down here, I see job postings for network engineer positions almost daily. I recommend trying to get on with an ISP. You will get exposure to network gear and technologies that you would never see in most enterprise roles.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass. GL with ICND2!
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! ICND2 will be easy for you.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    Congratulations! ICND2 will be easy for you.

Thanks. I'm not too worried about it. I just need to read up on EIGRP and frame relay. Working for an ISP, I have add no exposure to either.
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    Great score.
    Good luck on ICND2.
  • Options
    Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nicely done timmy! kindly share what materials used and ancillary thoughts.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Nice job. And as you said, you won't need luck with ICND2 either :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    fov001fov001 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NetEng wrote: »
    Thanks, and good luck to you too.

I don't know much about the job market in NY, but down here, I see job postings for network engineer positions almost daily. I recommend trying to get on with an ISP. You will get exposure to network gear and technologies that you would never see in most enterprise roles.

there are many job postings in NYC but most require experience, usually you would find

"Jr Network Engineer Position"

We need a Network administrator with the following qualifications

Network administration experience (Routing, Switching, Firewalls)
    5 years Microsoft Exchange Administration experience
    Ability to configure and manage ActiveSync and Blackberry Enterprise Server
    Experience with VMware (ESXi host and VM performance issues)
    experience managing virtual environment using vCenter
    Citrix experience is a plus
    experience troubleshooting XenApp

something similar to this video lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1TsOHyJPpw
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117

rofl! I am sending this link to my programmer friends!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Congrats!

Good luck on CCNA.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    there are many job postings in NYC but most require experience, usually you would find

This video is gold.. as sad as it is, not far fetched from some of the job listings I've seen for Jr. positions..
  • Options
    Nicely done timmy! kindly share what materials used and ancillary thoughts.

As many have recommended on these forums, I used the Odom book from Cisco press along with CBT Nuggets. I also did a few labs in the Pearson Network Simulator in the areas that I needed to strengthen. I found several mistakes in the labs which I reported to Pearson and they said these will be fixed in an update due this month. The cost of the labs were included in my WGU tuition and overall, I think they are worth the $130 or so, especially if you don't have access to real hardware.

For practice tests, I used the Transcender exams included as part of my WGU course work. However, the question seemed to be outdated. Perhaps they were still pulling questions from the old ICND1. I had previously purchased Boson exams and they were up to date and had a much better interface. I also used the practice exams from the Cisco Press book. These were by far the most difficult and I think prepared me the best.

As for the test itself, you absolutely must must know subnetting. I think if you master subnetting, you can just about pass on that alone. But every test is different so yours may not be as IP heavy as mine was.
  • Options

We have postings at my company with ridiculous requirements too. They are mostly trying to weed out the lower echelon. I still don't meet all the requirements that our listed for my current position. If I were you, I wouldn't be discouraged by the postings.
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Top Story Timmy! kindly share your well stored secrets about exam strategies et al. As you were.. :)
  • Options
    MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [/QUOTE]As for the test itself, you absolutely must must know subnetting. I think if you master subnetting, you can just about pass on that alone. But every test is different so yours may not be as IP heavy as mine was.[/QUOTE]

Heck, if that's the case, then I'm good and ready!! I can subnet as well as anti-subnet(wildcard), summarize, and mentally calculate VLSM! But I'll be a good boy and take my time.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!!!! I plan on taking my ICND 1 by the end of May or possibly beginning of June!
  • Options
    Elijah09Elijah09 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    TheBoxerTheBoxer Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone, I am new here, and new in the industry. I actually am a professional boxer, WBF Intercontinental Champion.
    I have always had great passion for IT, Networking. I began studying my A+ in November wrote both exams in December.
    I then studied Network + in February and Passed 4 days ago.
    I now am Half way through ICND 1 I feel great =) at least I know I have something to fall back on after my boxing career is over.
    Here is a video of my self : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUaQLHJTT4

Regards
    =)