Options

Security will be so important that CCNA security tracks > ccna R&S?

ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
If security will be so big and important then should someone that wants a job in the security field go straight for ccna security after their ccent?

Should someone not just specialize in security from the beginning rather than get ccna r&s ccnp r&s? I assume companies already have plenty of cc r&s around that they dont need another one if they are hiring security guys?

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Security is kinda broad so what you should do depends on what you want to do. If you plan on staying on the networking side of things, I highly suggest you get your CCNA before going into security and doing your CCNP right after. In large enterprises have saw as many as 400 firewalls/VPN/IDS devices in the network and there is a team that all they do is take care of those devices. They had to have a pretty good knowledge of routing/switching to do there jobs. If you were going to do more auditing, pen testing then it would be okay to go straight to the CCNA security.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    I was going to say. "I'm pretty sure you have to have the CCNA before you can do CCNA Security." But I just looked it up and I was wrong. I'm currently working on the CCNA Security certification and here is my 2 cents. If you have your CCENT and you go straight to CCNA Security, you'll be missing out on some knowledge that possible employers think you'll have because of the CCNA in CCNA Security. In my opinion this is how the certifications break down.
    CCENT: how to set up a one router network (small office/home office/branch office)
    CCNA: Introduction into Medium to Large Enterprise networking.
    CCNA Security: how to configure a zone based firewall one router network you set up in CCENT. And how to create a VPN tunnel.

CCNA will help you more then CCNA Security will right now most likely.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    I was going to say. "I'm pretty sure you have to have the CCNA before you can do CCNA Security." But I just looked it up and I was wrong.

CCNA will help you more then CCNA Security will right now most likely.

That used to be the case and I tend to still think that way myself, but as you discovered they changed that requirement. IMHO, that is a mistake.

CCNA is so fundamental to anything network related that it seems just silly to pass it up. Yeah, the CCNA Security sounds cooler and more advanced, but to be honest I would look at someone with a CCNA Security, but no CCNA R&S with a critical eye.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you will get much more ROI on the regular CCNA than any other of the specializations. It's more recognized and the skills required line up more with an entry level job. I agree with shodown that CCNA -> CCNP is the best path for someone looking for a career in any of the networking areas. You can then branch out into specializations if you think it is necessary to help your career.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You will not get far in security if your routing and switching is not there. I would not trust anyone to secure any network without basic routing and switching skills.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX