Options

Study Time

504tech504tech Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
What is the best way to create study time while studying for a certification test? Any ideas would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wake up early, got to bed late, read/lab during lunch time, read/listen to podcasts/videos while on the train or in the car. I do all these and still have time for the family. Perhaps this sounds a tad extreme but success is never on sale is it?!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ what he said.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, I would have to agree. If you want to make time for study it will happen, if you don't it wont happen. Everybody has got the same 24 hours, the difference is how people use those same 24 hours.

Add those hours up over a long period of time and the results can be amazing. I'm not in full study mode at the moment but when I am, I go all out. I've no kids running about yet so I understand that makes it easier on me but I know some people with kids that manage to handle the work/study/family balance too.

I would add to Essendon's list to include deadlines - nothing like a deadline to make you get things done, especially if you put your money on the line. Basically make the test/career goals a SMART goal.
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Curious -- what certs are you going for?

The way I have Studied (When I was working back in the States) is during lunch time as mentioned. But sometimes I needed a quiet place, either a coffee shop (Cliche) or my own room/home office. I would have a sign on the door with two sides, a Happy face that said 'Come on in!' and an angry face that said 'Stay the hell out - don't bother me'. It alerted my family (Brothers/father) that I was in study mode and to leave me alone.

I also cut off my own internet (Facebook was a HUGE distraction).

Just some methods I used to study, hope this helps! :D >icon_sad.gif
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go to bed at 9pm and wake up at 4am, study until you have to get ready for work.

Study what you like and make it your past time. Be excited about the learnings.

How much leisure and sleep time do you have a week?
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    Mcsa 2012-Server
  • Options
    I wake up a 6am and go to bed around 11pm. I am currently get a room ready to make it a study room. I have been using my lunch hour to study as well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like to study after I hit the gym and feel energized!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am also studying for MCSA 2012.

I read about a chapter a day (Maybe 1 hour), Answering the short test and labbing it up is about another hour.

I also do the CBT Nuggets, 1 hour (Rounded up) videos, I think there was 20ish videos?

All in all, you could probably look at 3 hrs of study a day. How you break it up, or feel comfortable is up to you. I would watch the lecture, read the theory (Traditional class) and apply knowledge, and test myself, in that order.

That is the same way I did it for my 70-680 and 686.

Just food for thought! Good luck bud.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I usually spend around 40 minutes each way studying on my train commute. Then another 45 minutes or so before bed.

A month or two before I plan to take an exam I usually ramp it up and add an extra hour.

Other things like listening to podcasts or mp3 of study videos why you drive, run/walk or go to the gym..

Having a textbook on the coffee table that you can pick up and put down..
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You make time. I don't care how you do it, if it is important, you make time.

I work full time, I'm full time in grad school, and I have a 20 month old, and yet I still make time to crank away at cert books.

If it means you have to get up early, or study late, that's fine. Success doesn't come overnight. And you have to work for it.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    And darn it, if that means you have to give up precious SC2 time climbing the ladder playing with your buddies, then that's what you have to do.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My Brother-in-law is able to do it some how. He has 7 kids, full time job working for Cisco as an engineer, is a double CCIE and may even be a triple. I know he was studying voice awhile back. It requires a lot of late nights and early mornings as others have said but it can be done. He is proof. I just can't imagine doing it myself like he does.