Am I out of my leauge?

Joshd28Joshd28 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am currently studying to take bot the 801 and 802 exams. (haven't set a date yet) I am completely new to the IT field with no actual hands on experience other ten making changes to my own pc. I am wondering what type of questions are on the test? multiple choice, essay, demonstrative? and do i even stand a chance on passing?

Thank you all for any advice you can give

Comments

• pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I took both exams three years ago. If I remember correctly, it was all multiple choice.

Prioritize studying for the exams and you'll do fine.
  • coloradogeek99coloradogeek99 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are not out of your league if you are willing to put in the work. I have not yet taken the exams but I plan on taking the 801 Tuesday and have done my fair share of research on the exams and what they mean. You do not need to have experience it is just recommended. With that being said this is a great certification to get started in the field. It shows you have a basic knowledge of how the system works and how to troubleshoot it if any errors occur. I would recommend buying a book. Both mike meyers and exam cram are very good resources. Exam cram is more for the people that have a technical understanding and mike meyers edition goes a little more into detail. Another resource you should use are professor messers videos. They are free and they really help paint a picture to what you have read. As far as the exam goes it is no longer just multiple choice. This video will help you understand the layout of the exam https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10151401862614062. Also I would go to comptia's website and download the exam objectives to give you a better understanding of what you need to know.
  • coloradogeek99coloradogeek99 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also I would not set a date to take the test until you have completed any studying that you want to do. I have seen too many times where people set the date and then are rushed into taking the test and fail. Another scenario I have seen is when people set the date a while before they take the test, they tend to forget the day the test is scheduled and this is something you do not want to miss as it is a $188 mistake. I would wait until you are ready for the exam and then schedule it within a couple days so you have some time to review before you take the exam.
  • bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    Welcome Josh. A+ is the most ideal place to start if you are new to the IT field, so I would agree that you are NOT out of your league. Professor Messer offers FREE videos for A+, Net+ and Sec+.

Good luck :)
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • CoolITnowCoolITnow Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can go to the CompTIA website and look at about 15 sample questions. Answer them and see how well you do. Good luck.
  • namssalPnamssalP Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Josh I am in the same boat as you. I have been studying the A+ for a month now but I have taken my own pc apart as well as installed a couple of Windows OSs. Get Professor Messer's free programs and if you do as I have watch them end to end. They are informative and have many visual aids. If you want you can spend the extra $300 or so to get all the materials he has for sale I would. I am also taking two other exam preps ExamForce and CrammasterOnline I believe they are the same administrator. I am taking a class and they came for free. The ProfessorMesser.com site is free and he has study groups and an open forum for discussions every month. You will do fine.