Options

virtual appliances CPU/RAM/performance

fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
If you want to run a bunch of CSR1000s, and/or virtual appliances from other vendors for lab purposes only, is the speed of the CPU important? Or could you just get a cheap CPU and just spend your money on more RAM instead?

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You will want as many cores as you can reasonably afford if you want to run these things concurrently. A Quad core desktop processor is not that expensive these days.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Maybe I should have been more specific. Is there a benefit to anything faster than a mid-range quad core consumer grade CPU? I essentially would only be running the control plane so I can't imagine that CPU would be a major factor, but there's also the issue of how gracefully these virtualized routers handle being CPU constrained.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know about CSR's but running Dynamips with 16+ routers (3725 with advanced image) and i get about 15% CPU on a mid range laptop.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.