Options

Backup Solution

tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
What backup solution are currently using? I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3 and I'm looking to go with something else. Any strong recommendations?

Currently have about 17 jobs configed (most are nightly) with several very important sql servers. Im also on a vmware infrastrucure with a slightly limited budget... if that influences your recommendation one way or the other. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What is driving the change?
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Without knowing your requirements I will only add what works well for us. For VM's running on VMware we use Vmware Data Protect (VDP). VDP can do both image and app-aware backups. For clients that are not part of Vcenter we use Acronis.
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looking for something, been having some issues with backup exec.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We use NetBackup, works pretty well. You can also take a look at Veeam, works really well.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I've spoken to people who literally just use off site scheduled .vhd checkpoints/snapshots as backups. At the end of the day, its just a container format.

How much storage do you have access to? =P (deduplication...?)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The thing here is that there are too many variables involved and without having a better picture of the environment, data size, etc, it's hard to steer the discussion in a particular direction. I'm always reluctant to start mentioning products without understanding the needs.

I've worked mostly with Backup Exec and NetBackup and find both to be great products but require lots of tuning and performance optimization. With budget being limited I am inclined to say that NetBackup may be out of the race.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Backup assist and Backup chain are good. For VMs Veeam is the top dog
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just recently finished implementing Dell AppAssure for backups throughout our environment. We are mostly VMWare with a few physical servers. Very easy to set up, backup, and restore. Very good compression ratios, too.

Robert
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rysnc and cron to handle incremental backups that's all I need
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "