Options

Started studying the ccna

BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
Hi all,

Finished my linux+ a couple months back.

In my new job we have cisco equipment so I've decided to do a cert that will benefit me in my current job. So I've decided the ccna.

I've brought the Bryant videos and first icnd-1 book that follows along with the videos and am going through that first.

I then plan on buying either odem or lammle or both books to read after the Bryant material.

I have not looked into it enough yet so I haven't made a decision on whether to get a simulator or gns. A 600$ ccna lab seems overkill from the reading I've done.

I also am not sure if there is a go to lab manual for the ccna that can be used whether it's real equipment or a simulator?

Anything else that I'm missing here?

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No need for a physical lab for the CCNA. You will want Cisco Packet tracker or one similar for the simulator if you can get your hands on it. Here is a good place for free labs:

CCNA Lab Workbook | Free CCNA Workbook

Best of luck in your studies!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Thanks mate, much appreciated!

Between those labs and the labs in my already purchased materials that should keep me going for a while.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Odom's books are what I personally recommend. If you would like to get some exposeure to Cisco equipment, I would recommend looking into purchasing some cheap routers with IOS 15. Cisco 1841s are great. Also, you will need to get some Cisco switches also. I would recommend purchasing some 2950's. If you do buy them online, ask them to have them verify the Cisco IOS image. If you can, as soon as you get it back, TFTP a copy of the IOS image itself or get a disc copy.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No real need to purchase the equipment. But if you did, you can buy enough with a lot less then 600.
  • Options
    I got the odem book to sit on my coffee table for when I get 10-20 minute gaps while at home.

Am interested in as many lab manuals as I can get my hands on though.

Not going the real equipment route unless I go for ccnp.
  • Options
    skittledmonkeyskittledmonkey Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Luckily I was given some switches and routers from my work they no longer used. Although it was great having the real hardware to play with, I pretty much just use packet tracer now. I find it does the same job and I can save my 'lab' and take it between home and the office to practice.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    pair of 2950 switches, pair of cheap routers such as 260xx or 18xx with serial modules/cables and you are set.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, if you are in a pinch and need this for a promotion (however I would not personally recommend this due to learning the material rather than rushing it) look into buying the CCNA in 60 days Kindle ebook. When the new version is released, it will only be $1 for about 1 week.