Options

How hard is it find a job without any work experience?

hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
*title*, im worried that i might have trouble finding a job relating to my study coz i aint got any experience. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lets just say at one point every one has done it :). Just be prepared not to get the perfect job the first time. You might be lucky, but most people take a few attempts and / or start at the bottom and work up.

But if you work hard and get on with it, even the most menial job can soon lead on to much better things.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It might help to avoid phrases like "coz i aint got any experience" during your search icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is it that you are studying?
  • Options
    NovaHax wrote: »
    It might help to avoid phrases like "coz i aint got any experience" during your search icon_wink.gif

I know, I tend to type whatever comes to mind first (formal/informal). icon_sad.gif

I am in networking program.
    3404 Computer Systems Technician
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sure. Will depend on location mostly as if there are lots of entry level positions then you have a higher chance of landing something. You can do things Like setting up an online CV, blogging Tech, possibly even creating some videos of doing some of the things you learned to possibly help. It may not sway hundreds of head, but you only really need it to sway 1. Good luck!
  • Options
    Markwilson101Markwilson101 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not same as always. There is lot of job searching sites available on the web where from anyone get a job with own preference.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    An internship could help you get your foot in the door. Are you currently employed? If not find a job, any job, just don't stay unemployed. Nobody hiring wants to see that, especially when you have no experience in the field you are seeking. The bottom line is you want to show a potential employer you are motivated to work, even if the job sucks.
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    I know some people that have got tech jobs with no experience based solely off the fact that they have great people skills.

Its the whole package that counts and your attitude.

- Start pursuing certs

- You could fix computers on the side if you have NO desktop/laptop experience.

- Learn to take apart a junk laptop/ desktop if you don't know already, don't have one? get one cheap at a pawn shop. You should be able to identify the components and assemble/ disassemble these.

- Get a Cisco lab if you have too, show ambition and desire to succeed. Certs in my opinion are one way of showing that.

Just my thoughts. I feel basic laptop/ desktop repair and diagnosis is a necessity which is why I threw that in there.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    ^
    thanks for the tips, how many minimum certifications do i need to get a head start after graduation? (no experience)
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    hell911 wrote: »
    ^
    thanks for the tips, how many minimum certifications do i need to get a head start after graduation? (no experience)

Up to you since there are so many different certification paths to choose from.

I think most would agree that taking your basic CompTIA certs first would be best such as A+, Security+, and Network+.

From there you can specialize in vendor specific certs such as Cisco and Microsoft and so on, whichever aligns with your career goals.

Also, I would get started on them as soon as you can, no reason to wait until graduation.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NovaHax wrote: »

What would be a great way to avoid that? Maybe the phrase "I am teachable" or "I am eager to apply what I know"? Anyone want to chime in some good ideas?
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    Markwilson101Markwilson101 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hell911 wrote: »
    ^

You have to update your self to know what type of job opportunities are there and what is your interest field to get certifications.
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think what DevilWAH said is pretty spot on. If you don't have any experience you're most likely going to have to start at the bottom and work your way up
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    M3CodyM3Cody Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get at least an A+ cert. That opened many doors for me that were previously closed. No certs, no experience I wouldn't count on much, unless you know people that can get you in the door. Since your taking a class, get friendly with people in there. Networking with people that see your ambitious may not immediately get you a job, but stay in contact with those people and over time they may be able to "recommend" you to their boss.
    Even when I got my A+ I couldn't find a job for months. No one wanted to hire me as a computer tech with no experience. So I got a job being a cable guy. (yeah). It was actually the A+ that got me in, since they needed people with computer skills to setup modems and home networks. That turned into me being the "network" tech, which allowed me to write a resume that showed more computer experience. Few short months later I had an IT job. Maybe not the ideal route for anyone, but I was willing to put in any hard work. Good communication skills, and a clean cut look (as much as I hate to say that) go a long way.
    When your young and inexperienced they kind of sit there and judge you based off of things like that since they don't have much to go with. best of luck, don't give up. As said previously we have all done it, and so will you.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    i'm farely new to this site & still waiting on admin to grant me access to start my thread.....my question is almost the same as hell911.....I've recently got Network+ , Security+ & CCNA(R&S). Currently working on MCSE 2012 server certification (5 tests)..........Only experience i hace is working with cisco routers & switches in my home lab & some vitualization experiences......Dell has a campus here in oklahoma city & I want to get in there in preferebly in a enterprice tech job.......now, what do u guys suggest me to do after MCSE? or any other advices?