Options

Before you die, list your passwords/logins in your will for your loved ones

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This rings very true with me. Before my father passed due to complications with his transplant, he brought me in and gave me all passwords/safe combinations. He also sat down and let me know how I should handle things with my mother. He was a smart man.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm taking mine with me. lol
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There is at least one company online that offers this service: Legacy Locker is now PasswordBox don't believe it is free, but a heckuva lot easier than changing a will when you change passwords.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Apple would help them out it's the issue of providing documentation to get the help which is the problem. The asking for court order is weird though, death certificate was usually enough for situations I had experience with. Saw this update:
    Since publication, Apple has acknowledged it misunderstood the request to unlock the device. The company has now restored the factory settings. It maintains a court order would be needed to access the iCloud.

Sounds like Apple needs to update or train their employees better on the unlocking policy. It makes sense for iCloud though with information access and privacy issues. People might need to be better trained on legal issues when it comes to physical devices and account information and the different types of information. I doubt the mother understood the changes to security due to all the theft of Apple devices and how integrated your personal information and the physical device.

For financial information my wife and I know each other's account information but I made sure to setup password information apps and setup syncing between her phone and tablet.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    colemic wrote: »
    There is at least one company online that offers this service: Legacy Locker is now PasswordBox don't believe it is free, but a heckuva lot easier than changing a will when you change passwords.

Ugh it's been hard trying to document electronic information and make sure my wife knows and understands it. We should formulate a plan and integrate it into our will. We have one for both of us we got through an attorney in the event one of us or both of us should die so our son is cared for. I keep forgetting digital information as an important asset also. Especially with how much might change over time on the legal side of things.
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Guarantee there is a way to bypass/erase/ figure out the password.

There is always a way.

In most circumstances, you are given the option to have a code sent to your email where you could retrieve the code to reset the password. If you do not know the email credentials they have recovery methods for those as well.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I die, my passwords shall die with me.
    My wife does not care for technology "which is a good thing :D ", she does not want or need to know my passwords.
    As for physical assets and cash in the bank it will handled by the court, here usually normal people do not have wills.
    Sorry for the following part, Mods please remove it if you feel it is not ok to post.
    In Islam, the Qur'an have the details on how the assets of a dead person are handled.
    From 4. Surah An-Nisa' (The Women)
    7. There is a share for men and a share for women from what is left by parents and those nearest related, whether, the property be small or large - a legal share.
    8. And when the relatives and the orphans and Al-Masakin (the poor) are present at the time of division, give them out of the property, and speak to them words of kindness and justice.
    9. And let those (executors and guardians) have the same fear in their minds as they would have for their own, if they had left weak offspring behind. So let them fear Allah and speak right words.
    10. Verily, those who unjustly eat up the property of orphans, they eat up only a fire into their bellies, and they will be burnt in the blazing Fire!
    11. Allah commands you as regards your children's (inheritance); to the male, a portion equal to that of two females; if (there are) only daughters, two or more, their share is two thirds of the inheritance; if only one, her share is half. For parents, a sixth share of inheritance to each if the deceased left children; if no children, and the parents are the (only) heirs, the mother has a third; if the deceased left brothers or (sisters), the mother has a sixth. (The distribution in all cases is) after the payment of legacies he may have bequeathed or debts. You know not which of them, whether your parents or your children, are nearest to you in benefit, (these fixed shares) are ordained by Allah. And Allah is Ever All-Knower, All-Wise.
    12. In that which your wives leave, your share is a half if they have no child; but if they leave a child, you get a fourth of that which they leave after payment of legacies that they may have bequeathed or debts. In that which you leave, their (your wives) share is a fourth if you leave no child; but if you leave a child, they get an eighth of that which you leave after payment of legacies that you may have bequeathed or debts. If the man or woman whose inheritance is in question has left neither ascendants nor descendants, but has left a brother or a sister, each one of the two gets a sixth; but if more than two, they share in a third; after payment of lagacies he (or she) may have bequeathed or debts, so that no loss is caused (to anyone). This is a Commandment from Allah; and Allah is Ever All-Knowing, Most-Forbearing.